Job Purpose : Accountable for providing commercial and M&A legal support on areas of law of material impact on the business(es) operating in the US.
Scope : This position provides critical legal advice, negotiation support, transaction support for acquisitions and divestitures, claims and dispute resolution support, compliance investigation support, legal research, and other legal assistance and advice to one or more business units, divisions and/or subsidiaries of the corporation in the Americas.
Reporting Relationships : Typically reports to a legal director, as appropriate; does not have any direct reports.
Principal Responsibilities :
- Provides legal counsel to local and senior management on M&A and commercial matters including supply and purchase contracts that generate revenue for the business units.
- Provides commercial legal advice with a primary focus on balancing risk and reward. Advice required to be delivered without the benefit of exhaustive legal research on every issue.
- Drafts, analyzes and summarizes standard and unique customer specific documents including Master or framework agreements, supply contracts, riders, addenda, purchase orders, web site agreements, third party procurement agency agreements; collaborates with other law department specialist attorneys and with responsible business leads to make recommendations that protect the company while securing the business.
- Negotiates with counsel for customers and other outside parties on contractual issues.
- Anticipates and mitigates potential legal problems wherever possible through drafting clear documents to avoid disputes and reduce potential liability while moving the transaction to a successful close.
- Provides legal and compliance coaching and training to business leads
- Conducts limited legal research on business specific topics, occasionally with the assistance of outside counsel
Education and Experience Required :
- JD/LLB from recognized university in a common law country (or JD/LLB from a civil code country with an LLM from a common law country.)
- Ability to be licensed as in-house counsel in Connecticut where position is located.
Qualifications : Excellent academic credentials, qualified to practice law in one or more of the United States with experience in transactional and commercial practice areas at a law firm or corporate legal group. Track record as lead attorney on acquisitions and divestitures. Experience negotiating and drafting wide array of purchase supply and other commercial agreements. Experience with chemicals, infrastructure or power industries preferred. Ability to be licensed as in-house counsel in Connecticut. Ability to draft and negotiate in English.
Special Physical Requirements : (Under review by S&ES)
Skills Required :
- Ability to act independently and serve as lead/sole attorney for all aspects of complex M&A transactions, including diligence, drafting, negotiating and closing, and ability to control outside legal costs when arising;
- Experience counseling, contracting, negotiating and drafting a wide array of commercial agreements including Master/Framework supply agreements and related riders, addenda, customer terms and conditions, as well as an array of other commercial documents;
- Drafting of letters responding to disputes and proposing creative solutions to settle legal disputes in support of the business goals;
- Experience conducting periodic training sessions virtually and in person as well as commitment to continuous education of business partners regarding legal and compliance matters. Comfortable speaking in front of a large group;
- Demonstrate flexible thinking with the ability to help business partners brainstorm pragmatic alternative solutions to business problems;
- Ability on a daily basis to juggle a high volume of both small and large matters needing urgent attention from a variety of business partners including matters of first impression;
- Ability to take a sound, definitive position on nuanced matters without full information (Dealing with Ambiguity, prioritizing risks, decisiveness, timeliness of decision making);
- Ability to work with all levels within the organization regardless of level or role (Customer Focus);
- Ability to work with outside counsel on occasion and control outside legal costs;
- Polished presentation skills to all levels of management (Comfort around senior management);
- Team player, ability to thrive within a team and collaborate both internally and externally. (Collaboration);
- Inquisitive, willingness to continuously learn;
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other reason prohibited by applicable law.
- Claim Processing
- Conflict Resolution
- Contract Management
- Dealing With Ambiguity