WHO WE ARE
“Energizing the Future.”
TransAlta owns, operates, and develops a diverse fleet of electrical generation assets in Canada, the United States and Australia, providing municipalities, industries, and businesses with safe, low-cost, and reliable clean electricity. For over 111 years, TransAlta has been a responsible operator and proud community-member where its employees work and live. We are committed to fostering a dynamic, productive, and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountabilities, strong leadership, and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
For more information about TransAlta, visit our website at, www.transalta.com.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
It is our collective mission to ensure that every single employee feels a sense of inclusion and belonging and can show up to work as their true authentic self. TransAlta is committed to hiring a diverse workforce including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and members of the LGBTQ2+ community. TransAlta believes that diversity enhances the quality of its performance, is an essential element to effective corporate governance, and cultivates a strong workplace culture.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are currently seeking a full-time Maintenance Technician, specializing in electrical controls and high voltage to join our team in Sarnia. As the Maintenance Technician, you must be willing to learn and work with others. Additionally, there is an expectation that you will be available for call-out as required to respond to emergency maintenance needs. Please review the following responsibilities and experience / qualifications to see if this role is a fit for you. All applications will be reviewed upon receipt.
This is a full-time unionized, site-based position located at our Cogeneration Plant in Sarnia, Ontario.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Ensure high voltage protection and control, medium and low voltage relay, as well as breaker testing and maintenance
- Maintain and test of high and medium voltage transformers and auxiliary equipment
- Be responsible for the repair of all electrical and controls equipment within the plant
- Perform regular preventative and predictive maintenance checks on plant equipment
- Read and interpret electrical single line drawings
- Work with vendors, consultants, and electrical contractors
- Research, investigate, and prepare reports
- Troubleshoot plant systems and submit job requests on those systems that require maintenance work
- Maintain the units within all applicable guidelines and regulations, including emissions, efficiency, heat rate, capacity, and safety
- Maintain a complete set of maintenance records and schedules on plant equipment using computerized maintenance management system
- Take corrective action for all situations in which the health or safety of the staff or plant equipment is at risk
- Strictly adhere to policies and procedures for the safe isolation of equipment and systems while performing maintenance work
- Follow all accepted equipment maintenance procedures, and at the same time is continually seeking methods for improving the reliability of the equipment and/or systems
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the plant systems, and updates training material as changes to the plant systems are made
- Work with Maintenance Support Staff to support maintenance activities within the plant
- Work with the Maintenance Support Staff to ensure adequate supply of spare parts are on hand
- Other duties as required
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Engineering Technologist Diploma
- High Voltage protection and control, medium and low voltage relay and breaker testing and maintenance
- Knowledge of SEL relays
- Knowledge of electrical high, medium, and low voltage Health and Safety practices
- Experience with predictive and preventive maintenance techniques
- Root Cause Analysis and problem-solving expertise
- Demonstrate initiative, integrity, resilience, and tenacity
- Ability to work in teams and influence others
- Organized with a high level of attention to detail
- Quality customer service orientation
Nice to Haves
- Bachelor of Applied Science degree or Engineering degree
- 309A, 442A Electrical Licenses
- CET designation
- Engineering design experience
- Project Management experience
- SAP experience
- Available for call-out as required to respond to emergency maintenance needs
- As this is a safety sensitive position, successful completion of pre-employment testing will be required by the successful candidate
WHAT WE OFFER
- Membership in Unifor Local 672
- Starting annual base salary is $100,000 based on qualifications, with salary increase up to $135,000 (annual base salary) over the course of a few years.
- Eligible for overtime
- Eligible for 3 weeks vacation plus 1 extra day off per month (cumulative time off)
- Flexible health benefits plan for you and your family
- Eligible for pension, with company matching based on additional employee contributions
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive, and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition. Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. Some positions may require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance. If these verifications are needed, they will be indicated on the job posting.
Become part of our TransAlta team today! We look forward to reviewing your application. All applications will be reviewed in a timely manner to the best of our abilities. We appreciate your patience and understanding during the recruitment process.
- Attention To Detail
- Computerized Maintenance Management Systems
- Corrective And Preventive Action (Capa)
- Engineering Design Process