UGI Utilities, Inc. is a natural gas and electric utility company committed to delivering reliable, safe and affordable energy to our 700,000 customers in 45 counties in Pennsylvania and 1 county in Maryland. We pride ourselves on being a responsive, engaging energy company. The foundation of our success lies in the strength of our 1,700 plus employees who strive to exceed the expectations of our customers and the communities we serve every day.
We offer comprehensive benefits, some of which are:
- medical, prescription, dental, vision, life insurance
- disability plans
- 401(k) matched savings plan
- paid vacation
- company stock purchase program
- wellness programs
- tuition reimbursement
- paid parental leave
- paid volunteer time
- adoption assistance
This position is responsible for providing support and assistance to the Manager of Tax & Regulatory accounting in executing the day to day tax function for UGI Utilities including but not limited to tax and regulatory reporting, accounting for income taxes, and support for ad hoc projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Sr. Manager of Natural Gas Tax Accounting with accounting for income taxes in accordance with ASC740 which includes:
- Preparation of the quarterly and year-end effective tax rate and income tax entries.
- Reconciliation of tax related accounts.
- Preparation of the tax basis balance sheet study.
- Preparation of the provision to return calculations.
- Assisting with budgeting and forecasting tax expense and accumulated deferred income taxes.
- Support to Regulatory Accounting group for regulatory reporting including quarterly and annual FERC, annual PUC, rate case filing, and any other miscellaneous forms.
- Leading the preparation of tax packages for submission to UGI Corporate Tax for the filing of federal and state income tax returns. Preparation of quarterly estimated tax calculations.
- Preparation of federal and state non-income tax filings along with management of non-income tax related audits.
- Assist with ad hoc projects or process improvement initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of tax compliance and reporting requirements and deadlines
- Familiar with income tax accounting, generally accepted accounting principles, and SOX to perform key controls over financial reporting.
- Prior work with corporate tax group or tax accounting firm
- Ability to work across disciplines such as payroll, accounts payable, fixed assets and general accounting to gather information.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of tax experience in Corporate or Public accounting environment.
- CPA credentials is a plus.
UGI Utilities, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. As such, the Company abides by the requirements of the Executive Order 11246, 41 CFR 60-741.5(a), and 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). The Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, disability, age, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally protected class in its practices.
Successful applicants shall be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen as a condition of employment, and if hired, shall be subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with UGI policies. As a federal contractor that engages in safety-sensitive work, UGI cannot permit employees in certain positions to use medical marijuana, even if prescribed by an authorized physician. Similarly, applicants for such positions who are actively using medical marijuana may be denied hire on that basis.
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles