Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
The Core Technician reports to the Exploration Geology Supervisor.
You will Perform a variety of technical duties in assistance to exploration geologists.
Safety & Sustainability Expectations
- Accountable for own health and safety performance. Maintain Triple Zero standards. Timely reporting, correction, of any unsafe working or environmental conditions.
- Ongoing IRS awareness.
- Conduct work site inspections.
- Ensures activities will not cause unsafe working situations to others or the environment
- Orienting drill core to determine recoveries and/or discrepancies. Recording magnetic susceptibility readings and taking core photographs.
- Conduct numerous field activities such as DDH spotting, sample collection, etc.
- Receiving and unloading diamond drill core from drilling contractor. Timely organization and storage.
- Sawing, collecting samples, and taking density measurements. Insertion and recording of QA-QC standards and blanks.
- Maintain good housekeeping in work areas.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
- Secondary School Diploma
- Considerable accumulation of geologic knowledge, processes gained through long-term employment in the exploration industry.
- 1-2 years exploration/mining experience, preferably within gold exploration/mining environment.
- Willing and able to work indoors and outdoors.
- Working knowledge of MS software applications
- Ability to communicate openly, honestly and in timely manner
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with others.
- Familiarity with core saws an asset.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- This role is located at Hoyle Pond, part of Newmont's Porcupine mine site near Timmins, ON.
- In this role, you will work a 5x2 schedule.
Please enter Job Number 13523 to submit your application ([ Link removed ] ). As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All properties owned by Porcupine Operations are Tobacco-Free. This includes but is not limited to all buildings, parking lots, vehicles, the surrounding wooded area, roadways, tailings, rehabilitated sites, etc.