Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
A new class of high-field superconducting magnets will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add an Engineering Manager to our growing team in Milpitas, CA.
This CFS Engineering Manager will report to the Head of Superconductor R&D and will be responsible for helping lead the engineering team to design, build, and implement advanced R&D equipment. This equipment presents a host of challenges including large, robust, and ergonomic high-vacuum chambers; components operating under extreme conditions such as high temperatures; large temperature gradients; complicated component manipulation; large pressure differentials; tight mechanical tolerances; and high uptimes. Applicant will have a strong track record of leading world-class engineering teams in the design and implementation of cutting-edge complex machinery. This team member will:
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Work within a multi-disciplinary, world-class team of top scientists and engineers to provide technical programmatic leadership by supporting staffing plans, hiring plans, and training plans;
- Provide strong leadership skills to deliver complex, next-generation machinery on time and to budget;
- Contribute to the technical design of complex machinery via strong mechanical engineering CAD and FEA abilities;
- Report on and be accountable to the Head of Superconductor R&D for project progress, schedules, resources, and costs;
- Work with the Head of Superconductor R&D to define technical development needs, required personnel, and to execute on project deliverables;
- Manage large complex engineering projects within tight budget and schedule constraints; and
- Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs that balance the business needs vs. technical constraints.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering field (e.g., mechanical);
- 10+ years of experience leading world-class teams in fast-paced environments to design, procure, construct, and operate novel, next-generation complex machinery;
- Demonstrated experience managing engineering design teams of 10 or more people including technical tasks, scheduling, and budgets;
- Expertise with advanced 3D modeling, finite element analysis, and other simulation methodologies;
- The ability to conceive novel solutions to challenging problems;
- An exceptional safety record and attention to detail;
- Expertise with engineering systems operating in challenging environments; and
- Expertise in applying Semi-S8, ASME, ACI, ASTM, and other mechanical standards to design solutions
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Engineering Design Process