Affiliation: Management & Exempt
Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we reinvent the future of energy. Across BC, we have a diverse team of more than 2,500 employees we can’t do without, yet we’re growing as fast as ever.
You may think we’re your standard utility that delivers natural gas and electricity, but we’re also into cool, innovative energy solutions. Think carbon capture, renewable energies and lower-carbon transportation for a start. We believe in creating a cleaner, healthier tomorrow.
If you like meaningful work, a dynamic environment and forward-thinking colleagues, build your career with us. You’ll get opportunities to grow, lead, solve, and create. So what are you waiting for? Let’s rethink energy together.
Reporting to the Regional Manager (Interior South), this position is responsible to provide leadership to staff in the provision of operations activities to support the generation, distribution, transmission and delivery of energy, safely and reliably, to FortisBC customers within a designated geographical area and/or facility.
Provide leadership to staff in the provision of operations activities to support the generation, distribution, transmission and delivery of energy, safely and reliably, to FortisBC customers within a designated geographical area and/or facility. Develop and execute annual objectives, deliverables, and work plans related to capital construction projects and programs, service and main installation, repair and maintenance, and emergency response. Manage team/s of skilled resources to meet operational demands.
Provide process and quality oversight to ensure compliance with applicable metrics; ensure efficient services delivery and completeness in accordance with industry and corporate standards and service level agreements. Set local priorities for operational delivery and stability including third party relationship issues. Oversee processes to ensure optimum efficiencies. .
Manage a safe and healthy workplace for staff and ensure health, safety and emergency requirements are met including adequate emergency coverage. Participate in incident investigations; conduct root cause analysis, and develops action plans to prevent future incidents. Collaborate with Human Resources/Labour Relations staff on related issues. Hire staff, arrange training, set and review performance expectations and facilitate resolutions to work related issues. Ensure all staff are effectively trained and competent in work activities for optimal scheduling and service delivery.
Manage (justify, prepare, monitor, adjust and report on) O&M and assigned capital project/program related budgets and costs to ensure customer and shareholder expectations are achieved; provide financial oversight including the management of costs associated to staff, facilities, vehicles, tools, and equipment. Review and approve capital purchases, third party contracts and internal service agreements. Manage risks utilizing operational/project controls.
Act as the primary point of contact for both internal and external stakeholders where local support and/or input is required; establish and maintain effective relationships with customers, contractors, builders, municipal agencies, emergency response and environmental management personnel. Support customer relationship processes to ensure expectations are met.
Understand asset condition and performance as applicable to area and function in order to provide input into the capital planning process and asset condition reporting through Regional Engineer/Asset Management Rep. Support the development of asset condition assessment and reporting.
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma of Technology in a related discipline from a recognized program, Certified Member in the Applied Science Technologists & Technicians of BC or a Professional equivalent, plus 8 to 12 years related experience in a leadership capacity or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Knowledge of budget concept and principles
- Responsible and accountable for designated operating area and function (Construction, Pressure Control, Customer Service) with respect to the;
- Justification and development of operating budgets
- Tracking and reporting on costs against planned expenditures
- Tracking and reporting on activities against plans
- Performance of team members in the execution of activities
- Responsible and accountable for operations management and performance measurement
- Responsible and accountable for operation, maintenance and construction process
- Knowledge of regulatory framework, requirements, codes and business model
- Knowledge of Company policies, standards and procedures
- Knowledge of safety management, processes and procedures
- Knowledge of transmission & distribution systems
- Knowledge of project management procedures and practices
- Knowledge of human resource policies and procedures including matters related to labour relations, recruitment and performance management
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership to staff
- Demonstrated ability to attend to emergencies and co-ordinate activities under stressful situations
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage projects/programs and related costs
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and demanding work schedules
- Demonstrated ability to apply conflict resolution skills
- Computer skills with application software tools and applications
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- This position is located in Trail, British Columbia. For more information on this area, please visit [ Link removed ]
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
The safety of our customers and FortisBC family members is our number one priority. To ensure the safety of our employees on our job sites, there is strict adherence to our worksite safety plans and social distancing practices. As an essential service provider, we’ll continue to follow the government COVID-19 guidelines and adjust our plans as necessary. As we welcome new employees, our commitment to safety remains for all of our FortisBC family.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the [ Link removed ] page for additional information.
- Emergency Handling
- Performance Management
- Installations (Manual/Mechanical)