Requisition ID: 136091
Job Level: Mid Level
Department: Project Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Our estimating team has an immediate opening for a Lead Building Estimator in our growing power and industrial groups. You will be part of our rapidly growing Industrial Design-Build Estimating Department or Power Estimating Department, which includes management of all pursuit engineering efforts and estimating for the following disciplines: mechanical, electrical, I&C, structural, geotechnical, and civil. As an Estimator, you will be responsible for reviewing, analyzing and interpreting Contract Documents (specifications, drawings, and reference information) to develop detailed, comprehensive cost estimates for various projects throughout Kiewit's markets.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service engineering consulting and design firm serving a broad range of the industrial markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve the industrial, transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Our operations-focused engineering provides our clients with safe and efficient facilities, and it integrates our 130 years of construction experience to finish projects on time and to make sure that Nobody Gets Hurt.
Our rapidly growing Industrial Engineering team, which includes process, mechanical, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Mineral Processing, Renewable Fuels, Pulp and Paper, Steel & Aluminum, Industrial Buildings, and Industrial Energy, Water and Utilities.
This position is based out of our Lenexa, KS office.
• Use recognized engineering techniques and procedures to conduct estimates and adhere to standard company policy.
• Review owner plans and specifications to develop a comprehensive understanding of the project and develop plan for the actual construction to serve as basis for the estimate.
• Create subcontract bid package based on owner plans and specifications for quote.
• Understand what design deliverables by discipline are required and assure that the delivery schedule is met.
• Review architectural drawings and specifications for building-related lighting, power, HVAC, and plumbing systems that will be used in deliverable packages sent to sub-contractors for bidding.
• Know how to build the project (best practices, sequence, geographical challenges etc.). Work with discipline leads to formulate a plan that includes all lessons learned and costs and put that plan to paper.
• Consult with estimate team on various problems discovered during bid preparation, design, rates, schedules, etc.
• Complete technical bid analysis reviews during the bid period and determining practicality of submittals.
• Communicate critical issues and estimate assumptions up to the Manager as they arise to ensure everyone is on the same page for the reviews to eliminate late changes.
• Schedule and prepare for estimate reviews.
• Understand project past cost data for benchmarking to compare to estimates.
• Monitor Key Estimate Metrics - Be aware of and monitor key estimating metrics that are looked at by Senior Management and ensure that the estimate falls within the accepted boundaries. Be able to explain any metrics that my fall outside these accepted boundaries.
• Stay abreast of trends and developments, such as new products, methods and procedures that are developing in the industry.
• Facilitate Cross-Discipline Communication.
• Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Construction Engineering, Architecture, Architectural Engineering, Civil/Structural Engineering, or equivalent.
• At least 3 years’ experience in building construction, design, or subcontract management.
• Understanding of Metal Building Structures for industrial projects.
• Basic understanding of building mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.
• Familiarity with building codes and requirements.
• Familiar and confident in understanding the workflow required to estimate, bid and construct buildings in an Engineer-Procure-Construct (EPC), and Design-Build environment.
• Experience with execution of all building project design phases from concept to construction.
• Knowledge of construction means and methods, costs and techniques, construction safety and current Federal & OSHA Requirements.
• Ability to read, analyze and identify discrepancies on engineering plans, specifications, and contract documents.
• Experience with the value engineering process and low cost alternative recommendations as they relate to project budgets and associated construction costs.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, Bluebeam and Navisworks.
• Experience with InEight Estimate (HardDollar) preferred.
• Exceptionally strong attention to detail, oral and written communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
• Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative.
• Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time.
• Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity.
• Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Attention To Detail
- Building Codes
- Confident And Emotionally Stable