TAE Technologies develops breakthrough solutions to the most complex problems of our time. Our core mission is to develop and distribute safe, cost-effective commercial fusion energy with the cleanest environmental profile. With close to 1,000 issued and pending patents and over $600 million USD in private capital, we are now on the cusp of delivering a transformational energy source capable of sustaining the planet for thousands of years. Our foundational technology has catalyzed a portfolio of spinoff opportunities in critical markets such as electric mobility, power management, life sciences and more. Multidisciplinary and mission-driven by nature, TAE Technologies is leveraging proprietary science and engineering to create a bright future for us all.
We currently have an opening at our Foothill Ranch, CA (Orange County) facility for a Scientist - Thomson Scattering Diagnostic. The scientist will be a member of the laser diagnostics group and will have a hands on role working with leading edge diagnostics such as Thomson scattering, far-infrared interferometry and polarimetry, and mm wave interferometry at TAE Technologies, the world’s largest private fusion energy program. This position includes extensive laboratory work, data analysis and interpretation, and reporting results at scientific conferences and in scientific journals. This position will also involve some experimental operations shift work on evenings and weekends, with the possibly of 24/7 operations and/or on-call off-hour support in the future. This is a full-time position with a rich compensation package.
Working at TAE:
We are a diverse group of 200 of the most brilliant physicists, engineers and other experts from 30 countries around the world – all committed to improving our world through clean technology. TAE values individual expertise within our culture of collaboration. We offer generous benefits, vacation, career development programs and intramural ping pong.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
System construction, operation, and maintenance
- The scientist will provide support to the system design, component test, and system installation of Thomson scattering systems on TAE’s next machine Copernicus.
- The scientist will perform system alignment and system calibration of Thomson scattering experiment on current machine and TAE’s next machine.
- The scientist will support the operation of the laser diagnostics group, this includes but is not limited to the operation of current Thomson scattering system and far-infrared interferometer system.
- The scientist will provide service of system maintenance of the Thomson scattering system on a regular base, which includes the maintenance of class-4 laser systems and the cooling system for lasers and detection equipment.
Physics experiments and data analysis.
- The scientist will generate experimental proposals to support ongoing physics studies.
- The scientist will perform data analysis and present the results internally and to outside fusion plasma community.
- 0 to 5 years of experience.
The scientist is required to have at least two of the following four hands on experience requirements.
- Class 4 laser systems, laser beam characterization, laser beam transportation and alignment
- Spectrometer and light sources and their applications
- Charactering optical imaging system, design and handling fiber bundle optics
- Photodiode, APD, CCD cameras and amplifier circuits
Software Knowledge and Skills:
- Familiar with standard lab equipment,
- Optical table experience
- Python is preferred for data analysis
- At least MS graduate degree in Plasma physics, applied physics, or Optics.
- Ph.D. degree in plasma physics,
- Data Analysis
- Diagnostic Skills