Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its OxyChem subsidiary is a major North American chemical manufacturer. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide.
Our greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Marketing Accounting Supervisor based in Houston, Texas.
The Marketing Accounting Supervisor will hold a highly visible position within the company and will assist the Accounting Manager to execute the accurate and timely reporting of accounting tasks and reporting. The Marketing Accounting Supervisor will build an established team with responsibility over the day-to-day tasks of volume actualizations, settlements and general accounting processes for the marketing businesses in the United States.
We are searching for an experienced candidate with strong interpersonal skills who is a hands-on leader. The candidate should be, highly organized in order to lead a strong team in meeting deadlines and is technologically savvy to advise on financial accounting system design requirements.
The following are job duties expected of the Marketing Accounting Supervisor:
- Supervise, train, and develop a 9+ person team specializing in commodity (natural gas, NGLs, and power) volume actualizations and settlements
- Cultivate a strong team culture within the group to encourage collaboration and cross training within the team;
- Oversee the volume actualizations process for all commodities ensuring that it is completed on-time and accurately;
- Ensure transportation invoices and counterparty settlements are reconciled to the trading system and paid on-time;
- Assist team in researching volume discrepancies;
- Analyze contracts with minimum volume commitment and document the results for monthly tracking;
- Analyze inventory and explain volumetric variances between current month, prior month, and forecasts;
- Proficient in knowledge of inventory valuation (WACOG);
- Perform month-end closing procedures and submit reports on-time in accordance with the department calendar and schedule;
- Collaborate with the financial analysis team for balance sheet and income statement analysis and margin tie-outs;
- Preparation and posting of recurring, standard and adjusting journal entries in accordance with GAAP;
- Create measurable metrics within the volumes and settlements team to hold staff accountable for their assigned tasks;
- Assist with ad hoc reports and special assignments when needed (i.e., system implementation (Allegro 8, SAP);
- Provide assistance to the analysis team for audit and tax requests (internal and external);
- Manage relationships with and regularly provide support to front office, mid office, revenue accounting, credit, treasury
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance with at least 21 hours of accounting
- Energy Marketing industry experience (10 + years)
- Relevant experience as a Supervisor (5+ years)
- Exceptional analytical and organizational skills
- Highly motivated and has the ability to manage, motivate, and develop a large team to ensure deadlines ae met
- Efficiently delegates task and manages work allocation amongst team to ensure deadlines are met.
- Capacity to maintain an optimistic and positive attitude through adversity
- Team-oriented spirit who displays a willingness to help others within the organization as a whole.
- Motivated, self-directed and results-driven approach to work, also takes ownership of assigned tasks
- Strong communication skills
- Creative thinker who can identify processes for continuous process improvement opportunities
- Strong decision-making skills who can independently solve problems for his/her team.
- Ability to anticipate issues and how they impact the team or other stakeholders, and act on them in advance
- Employ fundamental accounting skills: general ledger, inventory; accounts payable, accounts receivable and account reconciliations
- Demonstrated ability to streamline and improve processes
- Knowledge of gas pipeline actualization and settlement
- Accounting experience in Energy Supply & Marketing
- Ability to read tariffs and contracts to recreate costs
- SAP Financial software application experience
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles