Join the Clean Energy Revolution
Become a Planner Specialist at Southern California Edison (SCE) and build a better tomorrow. In this job, you’ll be thoroughly trained to develop estimates, prepare work orders, drawings or construction plans, and bills of materials used at the planning stage of new engineering and construction projects. As a Planner Specialist, your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon emissions and create cleaner air for everyone. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
A day in the life - Get ready to think big, work smart and shine bright!
- Review contract designed deteriorated poles and work related orders
- Communicate with internal clients including, Distribution Engineering Project Management Organization, Distribution Project Management Organization and Distribution Operations Centers to determine technical requirements regarding the design of new projects.
- Define the scope and operational requirements for preparation of preliminary electrical and civil designs.
- Create designs for basic infrastructure replacement programs, including deteriorated poles and OH conductor replacements.
- Create designs for minor under-grounding projects; coordinating projects with Distribution Engineering, Civil Construction, PMO, DPMO, Drafting, Scheduling, Construction, Environmental, and other internal organizations to create electrical designs.
- Prepare work order documents and drawings, and secure final approval of work order packages.
- Order materials and identify expected construction labor and timeframes.
- Complete all necessary contracts, invoices, easement requests, apply for necessary permits, FAA approval and submitting environmental reviews to prepare project for eventual construction.
- Forward completed work order packages to sponsor organization and updating all internal systems as required.
- Assist Designers and other team members with technical issues.
- Act as a team facilitator in coordinating efforts of contract planners, engineers, customers, and all other internal sources for the purpose of creating a high quality electrical design in a timely manner.
- Maintaining a safety conscious work environment by following Edison safety protocols and safe work practices.
- Performing other responsibilities and duties as assigned
- Must be a successful graduate from Service Planner Development Program (SPDP) OR possesses one or more years of experience in Electrical Utility Distribution Design, Transmission Design, Distribution Line construction, or Electrical Engineering discipline.
- Must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Experience with designing overhead electrical systems.
- Knowledge of pole loading requirements.
- Experience working with customers, identifying needs and resolving customer issues.
- Demonstrated experience, training or education in a technical or mechanical field, including learning or applying technical information related to engineering, drafting, architecture, construction, mapping, design, mechanics, mathematics, science or computers.
- Experience managing several projects concurrently, adjusting to shifting priorities, and meeting deadlines.
- Experience in SCE systems such as DM, SAP, AUD, CSS, Spida, SpidaMin and knowledge of resource books such as DDS, UGS, ESR, Overhead and Underground Construction Manuals.
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills to interact effectively with clients/ customers.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Successful completion of Electrical Utility Planner Certification Program (from California State Polytechnic University, Pomona), AutoCAD, or similar programs.
You should know
- Visit our [ Link removed ] to get meaningful information related to benefits, perks, resources, testing information, and hiring process, and more!
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- Position may require up to 30% travel and being out in the field throughout the SCE service territory.
- Relocation assistance will not be offered.
About Southern California Edison
The people at SCE don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We’re fueling the kind of innovation that’s changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you’ll have a chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact in Southern California and around the world.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at