About the opportunity
Jacobs’ Vehicle Solutions team is involved with projects for new vehicles, depots, vehicle maintenance, fleet modifications and design, for a wide range of clients in the UK and Ireland including vehicle owners, operators, installers, equipment suppliers and local and national government organisations. We are recruiting a vehicle engineer with experience of electrical engineering of rail vehicles, to help us develop and deliver further opportunities in the UK and Ireland.
The role will require the candidate to do the following:
- To work directly for, and with, the client to lead on electrical systems and electrical installation aspects on, for example, specification and introduction of new trains and design for upgrades to existing trains.
- To be part of a team or lead on projects as directed by the company in line with their relevant skills.
- To work independently on defined projects.
- To be responsible for providing technical reports and data as required.
- To ensure effective communication at all times.
- To report to the Team Leader, Vehicle Development and Design
The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following:
- Experience of successful project delivery and technical responsibility in electrical systems and electrical installations projects for UK rail vehicles.
- Good knowledge of the electrical installation calculation principles including current protection device sizing, power cable sizing and earth cable sizing.
- Good knowledge of significant UK rail vehicle electrical systems including several of door systems, auxiliary power distribution, lighting, passenger information systems, in-cab signalling systems including ETCS
- Ability to lead work packages for rail vehicle electrical engineering tasks.
- Ability to work as part of a team and work independently.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Good analytical skills.
- Willingness and ability to deliver projects to quality, budget and time.
- Willingness to contribute to business development and bidding for new projects on trams and light rail vehicles as well as other types of vehicles.
- Willingness to travel to meet the needs of projects.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Degree/HNC or relevant experience
- Experience of UK rail vehicle electrical engineering with a manufacturer, operator, vehicle owner, design organisation or consultant
- Chartered Engineer or working towards it
- Ability to lead work packages across general rail vehicle projects (not just electrical aspects) or willingness to progress in that direction
We clear the way for inventive thinking, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit [ Link removed ] to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please [ Link removed ] .
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.