At Jacobs, we push the limits of what’s possible to make the world more connected and sustainable, we understand that climate change is the greatest challenge and opportunity of our generation and are working to establish Jacobs as a leader in clean & smart mobility, we understand that the infrastructure needs of the electric vehicle sector are rapidly evolving and require fast-paced, innovative solutions. Reducing global transportation sector emissions is a top priority and we’re working to decarbonize transportation to improve local air quality by eliminating harmful pollutants and reducing noise pollution for communities. You will be part of a highly collaborative and agile team, delivering cutting edge solutions to world leading clients.
We're looking for a Lead Fire Protection Engineer who is excited about working on projects that enable the heart of our clients’ business. Join us and you’ll have the chance to work on projects at some of the world’s most state of the art industrial and commercial facilities. You’ll be accountable for schedule and technical quality of challenging engineering tasks, as you gain familiarity with the client’s expectations, scope, budget, and schedule.
You will work in a multi-discipline, highly interactive team to successfully deliver on the design, development, application, evaluation, recommendation, and specification of engineered systems and products. You will perform all aspects of Fire Protection engineering and design and independently apply advanced engineering techniques and analysis within the discipline. You will also develop designs that require innovation and ingenuity, be expected to perform work with little to no supervision, review work of discipline team for adequacy on completion and provide technical guidance to drafters/designers and engineers.
As a Fire Protection Engineer working with our Built Environments team, you’ll use your skills and experience to help deliver and complete challenging and engaging buildings projects. You’ll assist in the design of Water Spray/Sprinkler systems, Fire Pump/Water Storage Tanks, Fire & Gas Detection systems, and Fire Alarm/Mass Notification systems while also helping develop the plans for the overall building safety.
Act as a consultant in the establishment of design standards and criteria for construction projects. Provide expert comments based on these requirements.
- Manage design of projects throughout the project, from programming to post-occupancy.
- Review proposal documents for accuracy and ability to meet Jacobs Client standards. Provide comments and/or recommendations as necessary.
- Review Architectural, Electrical, and Mechanical floor plans utilizing various NFPA and IBC Codes and Standards
- Possess and utilize knowledge and understanding of the Life Safety Code (NFPA 101), especially as it pertains to Means of Egress Systems and Components. Ensure all designs meet these standards.
- Review vendor shop drawings and equipment submittals for sprinkler systems and fire alarm systems for compliance with NFPA 13 and NFPA 72, respectively.
- Review sprinkler system hydraulic calculations, hydrant flow test data, and fire pump performance curves.
- Possess the knowledge and ability to suggest and equivalent level of protection when strict code compliance cannot be achieved.
- Inspect facilities and clearly identify deficiencies with respect to Means of Egress, Sprinkler Systems, Fire Alarm Systems, Emergency Lighting, Electrical Arrangements, Fire Rated Partitions, Storage Arrangements, etc.
- Ability to act as the Jacobs Client Subject Matter Expert (SME) with respect to Fire Protection and Life Safety at design meetings and on-site construction meetings.
- Attend Markey Surveys and make “on-the-spot” recommendations regarding acceptability of a building with respect to Life Safety code requirements for Exit Remoteness, Exit Capacity, and Discharge.
- Ability to test Fire and Life Safety Systems including, but not limited to, sprinklers, fire alarm, emergency lighting, and elevator recall during Substantial Completion Inspections. Make recommendations to the Jacobs Client Project Manager regarding whether the space can be accepted and occupied safely.
- Provide on-site field survey measurements and verification.
- Perform design reviews and submit comments in required format.
The position can be performed from virtually any location in the United States #EVjobs
- Progressive Experience as a Fire Protection Engineer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Protection, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
- Experience in design engineering of suppression system (wet-pipe, dry-pipe, preaction, deluge, foam, clean agent), fire alarm/mass notification system, smoke control system, fire pumps, water storage tanks
- Facility and/ or Industrial design experience including pharmaceutical/consumer/chemical manufacturing, semiconductor facilities, data center, or similar
- 10 years of experience in the design of building electrical systems
- Working knowledge of ICC, NFPA, and UFC codes/standards.- US Specific
- Experience with Building Codes and life safety requirements.
- Experience with design, construction, and commissioning of fire suppression and fire alarm/mass notification systems.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license or ability to obtain within six months of hire
- NICET certification or other relevant accreditation - US Specific
- Established Professional network within the EV market
We clear the way for inventive thinking, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under URL blocked - click to apply
and [ Link removed ] .