If you are a Design Engineering professional looking for an opportunity to grow, Emerson has an excellent opportunity for you! Based in our business unit’s global headquarters in Rosemont, Illinois, under the guidance of our Director of Engineering, you will lead the design and development of Appleton Group’s products for global markets that distribute, control, and monitor electrical power in hazardous and heavy industrial applications. Projects cover a mix of new product development and product improvement programs. AS THE SENIOR DESIGN ENGINEER FOR ELECTRICAL CONTROLS & ENCLOSURES, YOU WILL:
WHO YOU ARE:
- Design and develop electrical controls and enclosures such as motor starters, panel boards, and contactors for industrial and hazardous locations; optimizing our designs to create better solutions for our customers
- Own the full product development process including concept, product specifications, design, supplier specifications, product validation, and production launch
- Lead projects from inception to launch, coordinating the activities and providing technical guidance to our multi-disciplined global Engineering team. Review and implement opportunities for continuous improvement
- Collaborate with product management in translating voice of customer research into impactful features for product designs
- Identify and apply innovative technology focused on improving our product capabilities and creatively incorporate groundbreaking smart technologies into our next generation of products
- Use our global lab facilities’ testing capabilities to validate product designs against requirements.
- Work with our external partners to define and produce new components and materials; delivering world-class solutions.
- Mentor and empower emerging engineers; growing their technical and analytical abilities.
- Travel globally, 25% annually, to visit our vendors, manufacturing locations, and installations sites to review product production and operation and gain voice of customer feedback.
You move beyond traditional ways of doing things; pushing past the status quo to come up with useful ideas and capitalize on technology trends to craft future opportunities. You ask the right questions and acquire data from multiple and diverse sources to accurately analyze problems and identify efficient solutions. You maintain a positive demeanor and forward-thinking approach despite troubling circumstances or setbacks. You take ownership for decisions and actions, evaluate feedback and make vital adjustments, and follow through on commitments. You seek guidance from others and encourage the expression of diverse ideas and opinions; balancing your needs and interests with those of others’.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or a closely related field of study
- 7 years’ experience leading engineering design projects
- Previous experience working with molded or cast components for enclosures
- Demonstrated ability to lead new products to production launch
- Experience with rapid prototyping technologies
- Ability and willingness to travel globally to visit vendors, manufacturing locations, and installation sites; 25% annually. The company will help you acquire a passport if needed.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- One or more of the following is preferred but not required:
- Solid understanding of hazardous and commercial/industrial electrical products
- Hands-on experience with electrical controls and power distribution and monitoring
- Certified Engineering Technologist certification, Professional Engineering license, or Project Management Professional certification
- Proficient in computer-aided design and simulation software applications
- Familiarity with technologies related to connected products and devices
A background check and drug screen are required for employment.
Our Commitment to Our People
We invest in our employees to ensure they have the marketplace knowledge, skills and competencies to compete and lead in a global economy. Our training programs focus on end-to-end development from onboarding through senior leadership.
Flexible and competitive benefits plans offer you the right options to meet your individual/family needs: medical insurance plans, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), tuition reimbursement, and more. We provide employees flexible time off plans including paid parental leave (maternal and paternal), vacation and holiday leave.
Our success is measured by the positive impact we make on people, our communities and the world in which we live. [ Link removed ] .
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
At Emerson, we are committed to fostering a culture where every employee is valued and respected for their experiences and perspectives. We believe a diverse and inclusive work environment contributes to the rich exchange of ideas that inspires innovation and brings the best solutions to our customers. This philosophy is fundamental to living our company’s values and our responsibility to leave the world in a better place.
Diversity and Inclusion at Emerson is about welcoming, respecting, and valuing the differences each employee possesses. Inclusion is creating a real sense of engagement, belonging and connection for all employees. Learn more about our [ Link removed ] and about [ Link removed ] .
Emerson will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Emerson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
If you have a disability and are having difficulty accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request help by sending an email to [ Link removed ] .
Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $18.4 billion in sales, more than 20 Innovation, Solutions & Engineering Centers, and 200 manufacturing locations worldwide, is committed to helping employees grow and thrive throughout their careers. We are innovators, question-askers and problem-solvers. We don’t settle for good enough or “This is the way it’s always been done.” Instead, we push ourselves and strive for the “never been done before.”
Our Automation Solutions business enables the greatest use of the world's most valuable resources, ensuring the performance and safety of industries that are the backbone of daily life.
Our Commercial & Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency and create sustainable infrastructure.
No calls or agencies please.
New Product Development
Engineering Design Process