Underground Mine Supervisor
- Join a leader in mining & metals organization offering outstanding personal development & global career opportunities
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Join a leading global company – based in Salt Lake City, Utah
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for an Underground Mine Supervisor, residentially based in Salt Lake City, Utah, to join the underground team and lead a crew of underground mining contractors.
You will be responsible for:
- Supporting the Rio Tinto safety culture, ensuring contractor and employee adherence to policies, procedures, site standards and statutory requirements;
- Daily coordination with the contractors’ shift supervisors and surface operations to ensure planning and management of surface mining related delays (surface blasting, weather, power interruptions, etc.);
- Coordination of underground development, drilling, and construction programs and projects
- Coordination of activities between the Underground Mining Crews, Operations, Projects, and Drilling Contractors.
- Signing-daily work permit plans for Contractors and other subcontractors performing work on-site
- Participating in weekly and monthly planning meetings
- Affectively communicate changes to driving layouts, ground control, or other(s) to Contractor shift supervisor.
- Managing inventory of mining consumables to ensure materials are available for mining and coordinating with KUC purchasing and enter requisitions weekly for materials request
- Promoting a Zero Harm workplace while ensuring Health, Safety and Environmental policies and standards for Contractors, KUC, and MSHA understood and applied
What you’ll bring
- 10 years’ experience in an underground mining capacity
- 5+ years’ supervisor experience
- Underground development mining experience
- Underground construction experience
- Underground drilling experience in ITH, Core, Rotary Drilling
- Problem solving skills
- Uncompromised commitment to working safely, and Creating a Zero Harm working environment
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access top tier family-friendly health and medical programs and pension plan
- Wellbeing benefits
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with
a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
Our Kennecott mine is a world-class, fully integrated copper mining operation, including a concentrator, smelter and refinery, located just outside Salt Lake City, Utah, in the United States. We produce copper, precious metals including gold and silver, molybdenum and sulfuric acid. Kennecott has been mining and processing minerals from the rich ore body of the Bingham Canyon Mine since 1903 and is one of the top producing mines in the world, comprising approximately 11 percent of U.S. annual copper production.
The Underground Characterization (UGC) project at Rio Tinto Kennecott is a component of the larger Integrated Skarns Project (ISP) and is intended to collect geological, geotechnical and hydrogeological data from the North Rim Skarn (NRS) deposit beneath the Bingham Canyon open pit mine. The technical data will support the completion of a feasibility study, with the ultimate goal of moving ISP into full scale underground production. The UGC project includes lateral and vertical underground development as well as the construction of surface and underground infrastructure necessary to support the project.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQ+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Rio Tinto participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization. Please visit [ Link removed ] for more information.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.