Requisition ID: 107739
Job Level: Mid Level
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers has an immediate opening for a dynamic Geotechnical Lead to join our Geotechnical Engineering leadership team and manage our Construction Engineering Services Geotechnical team in Burnaby, BC. The Burnaby CES Geotechnical Lead will work closely with the Canada CES Geotechnical Manager, Chief Geotechnical Engineer, and other members of the leadership team to grow, train and manage the operational needs of the CES Geotechnical team in Burnaby, BC. The successful candidate will bring energy, enthusiasm, and a focus on collaboration while providing administrative, technical, quality, and safety leadership for the engineers and designers of the CES Geotechnical team.
The CES Geotechnical Lead will also work with an interdisciplinary team that includes civil, structural, drainage, rail, and mechanical engineers as well as estimators, schedulers and other construction professionals to identify geotechnical engineering risks and develop appropriate means and methods to facilitate construction of a full range of challenging engineering projects across Western Canada. The Geotechnical Lead will be responsible for overseeing the production and/or review of engineering designs necessary to support our diverse construction operations across Western Canada, as well as directing the work of staff geotechnical engineers in our Burnaby, BC office.
The Kiewit Infrastructure Engineering team is driving clients to turn to Kiewit during all stages of design-build projects to manage their multi-disciplined design teams to improve schedule, control costs and minimize risk. Our construction-driven engineers analyze root causes and resolve design issues before they impact schedule and budget. Particularly on large design-build projects, clients benefit from the proven processes and tools used by Kiewit to minimize project risk. We are an in-house resource that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff shares gained experience, innovative concepts, and design best practices for all projects that we support.
Our participation leads to safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. We will train you, develop your skills, and allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch benefits, a wealth-building RRSP plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
This position is based out of our office in Burnaby, BC and includes travel to project offices and work sites, and period field assignments.
• Identifying, developing, and aligning high performance teams and individuals to meet organizational goals and support construction projects across Western Canada.
• Coordinating and continually monitoring staff assignments and staff workloads; developing staffing forecasts.
• Fostering an environment that emphasizes collaboration and coordination; providing feedback and encouraging learning to create growth opportunities; mentoring team members.
• Assisting in development of training strategies; overseeing technical training and ensuring the technical competency of CES Geotechnical staff.
• Ensuring designs are completed with consistent application of design standards, technical approaches, and in accordance with the design quality management program.
• Performing and coordinating with Geotechnical leadership to perform risk assessments and management reviews of temporary engineering tasks.
• Advising and providing direction to staff on proper execution of deliverables; serving as engineer of record with responsibility for design recommendations and deliverables.
• Working with pursuit teams to identify key geotechnical design risks and develop plans to mitigate those risks.
• Coordinating with Engineering staff and Construction partners to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery; ensuring effective communication between Engineering and Construction staff.
• Leading the exploration of alternate designs or new technologies to challenge the status quo and provoke exploration of new or innovative design solutions.
• Collaborating with staff and the Engineering Project Management Team to develop work scopes and labor estimates.
• Interface with Clients, Construction Personnel, Subconsultants and Regulatory Agencies.
Quality and Safety
• Leading by example with respect to safety, quality, and fostering a culture of continuous improvement.
• Coordinating with the quality management team to train staff and implement the design quality management program.
• Minimum 10 years of progressive geotechnical design experience, including Construction Engineering Services and design-build delivery (min. 5 yrs of experience in North America).
• Professional engineering registration, required.
• Master's degreein Geotechnical Engineering preferable.
• Demonstrated broad technical knowledge of geotechnical engineering and technical solutions to geotechnical issues on construction projects, including ability to develop and evaluate innovative and cost-effective design solutions to problems and challenges.
• Construction focused experience including: design of earth retention structures (MSE, soil nail, gravity walls), temporary slopes and embankments, dewatering systems, cofferdams, support of excavations (sheet piles, soldier piles and lagging, secant piles, etc.), working surfaces for cranes and equipment, deep and shallow foundations, ground improvement techniques, subgrade stabilization, , settlement of compressible soils, site development, and marine engineering.
• Demonstrates strong verbal and written communication skills, with a demonstrated focus on interdisciplinary design coordination.
• Strong interpersonal skills resulting in exceptional rapport with people. Proven success in initiating, promoting, and maintaining strong interpersonal relationships amongst the team.
We believe in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and comply with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.