Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 2,000 in North America and the Phillipines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
This position is part of the SunPower Development team whose accountability is to bring projects through the development phase and enable the sale of the projects, while preserving project margins and schedule.
The Development Manager will direct all development activities, including leading projects through permitting, interconnection, real estate, etc. and delivering project economics (“project P&L”) at the point of sale to investor(s). This person will closely coordinate the project deal team for the deals that they are assigned to. The Deal team includes Origination, the Development Engineer and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and support a portfolio of projects in the development phase and the Development Manager is managing an overall focus on the Direct Commercial P&L.
The Development Manager will partner with the Origination Team to build a strong portfolio of projects for SunPower to deploy its energy solutions and serve its customers. Specifically, this Developer will support the Origination Team in the development of the deal with customers to ensure transparency of project-related opportunities and risks. In the development phase, the Developer will lead and manage all aspects of the project, including coordinating the project team (legal, finance, origination, etc.), to successfully sell the project to investor(s). The person will analyze critical items for the P&L, issues and opportunities related to potential commercial transactions, long-term and short-term planning issues and/or real-time operational issues. The Developer will report directly to the Director of Development.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Working closely with the Origination team to help win new business and drive to contract execution. This will also include identifying project opportunities and risks to drive stakeholder discussions and negotiations (i.e. customers, partners, financiers, etc.)
- Leading the activities that will support and provide expert input for due-diligence evaluations and review efforts related to potential commercial transactions. Depending on the experience level of the individual and or the complexity and size of the deal, the Developer may be assigned to work alongside or with the guidance of others on the Development Team.
- Working cross-functionally with other departments involved in the overall advancement and evolution of projects including Origination, Development Engineering, Construction, Legal, Accounting and Finance teams, incorporating the input of subject matter experts, with the objective to enhance project margins and planning
- Jointly responsible for managing the P&L of all projects within the region generally from contract execution to Financial Close / Notice to Proceed, and in some cases beyond
- Managing with close alignment with Project Finance, the financing of transactions as we achieve Financial Close / NTP including all elements required to achieve FC / NTP: PPA, title, valuation, production forecast, legal documentation, etc.
- Identifying and managing relationships with consultants and external legal counsel
- 4-6 years’ experience (or equivalent) in:
- the renewable energy electric industry
- renewable energy project development, including permitting, real estate, and interconnection,
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field
- Fluency in MS Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Tenacious problem solver – able to accurately assess, identify, solve, implement, and communicate solutions to problems, including the timelines. Experience working with project stakeholders
- Experience with financial modeling of projects, general project understanding and acumen, knowledge of permitting for land and title items is a plus.
- Experience presenting project development activities to senior management.
- Proven ability to adapt to change in a calm and measured manner
- Demonstrated execution experience
- Highly effective communicator -- able to craft and present excellent, clear and concise oral and written presentations and analyze data to support arguments.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage and interface effectively with cross-functional employee groups of all levels and competencies
- Good oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Good interpersonal and time management skills
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter with a burning desire to learn and win
- Master’s in Business, Finance, Engineering, or related field plus three to five years of experience in power generation or similar industry
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
At SunPower, we value the health and safety of all our team members. We support and encourage our employees to form a healthy and stable environment where they can succeed. Below we have listed the working requirements and environment for this role:
- Able to work upright and stationary and/or standing for working hours
- Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable method
- Able to position and move objects up to 10 pounds
- Able to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency
- The position requires travel with the potential of overnight stays between assigned facilities and various locations within the community. Less than or equal to 10% travel.
- Day to day work is completed in the office at personal computer M-F, first shift hours
- Ambient noise level is usually quiet, consisting of normal conversations, business machines, telephones, but occasionally may be above average for portions of the business day
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
[ Link removed ]
[ Link removed ]
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: [ Email address blocked ] . Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.
- Due Diligence
- Financial Modeling