Basic Job Functions:
- Responsible for obtaining bids and placing orders for supplies, materials, services, and equipment.
- Negotiates pricing and delivery with key vendors, supports supplier development activities to established guidelines and in a cost efficient manner.
- Define sourcing strategies and managing contracts, conduct RFQ/tendering and cost comparison analysis.
- Responsible for assuring Purchasing Orders are placed and timely deliveries
- May delegate work to, and oversee work of, up to two Buyers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Responsible for managing the commercial relationship between First Solar and its key local suppliers with full compliance to company’s code of conduct.
- Responsible for processing purchase orders according to established guidelines and in a cost efficient manner.
- Responsible for negotiating pricing and other terms with assigned suppliers to improve product cost, reduce First Solar inventory, and improve cash flow.
- May negotiate and place Purchase Orders for significant capital equipment purchases.
- Independently investigates new suppliers for improved price, delivery and quality.
- Participate in and may lead supplier selection, qualification, evaluation, and re-evaluations for new and current suppliers
- Responsible for managing inventory levels of assigned materials.
- As required, expedite or de-expedite deliveries and change scheduled quantities to meet changes in production or requirements, including working with Logistics to schedule and arrange timely and cost-effective deliveries.
- Notify suppliers of changes in specification and obtain their approval prior to implementing the change.
- Notify suppliers of quality discrepancies in their incoming material; with internal and supplier experts, support the identification of root cause and assure corrective action; and assure material disposition is appropriate dealt with.
- May work with engineering to modify or finalize specifications
- Maintains effective communications levels and fosters team building.
- Adheres to all First Solar internal processes and procedures, including safety, SOA, ISO9000, ISO14000, and housekeeping standards.
- May perform Commodity Management functions on some items, including development of strategic relationships and negotiating long term supply agreements.
- May travel, including internationally, to critical suppliers.
- Supplier relationships are maintained and improved.
- Failure to perform responsibilities will have a significant impact on First Solar production and, ultimately, financial performance.
- 5+ years of purchasing experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Some experience directing the work of other buyers is preferred.
- Ability to identify and engage local supplier base for best purchasing results for First Solar.
- BE/B-Tech/Degree in Purchasing or related fields or equivalent.
Required Skills: Behavioral:
- Motivated, focused and target driven individual
- Proven organizational skills – ability to prioritize.
- High level of skill demonstrated in managing suppliers and supplier relationships.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Has thorough knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within the Purchasing field.
- Knowledge of engineering data bases and managing specification changes with suppliers.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Flexibility to work as per different time zones, based on requirement.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office or equivalent.
- In depth knowledge of ERP systems-SAP/Oracle systems.
- Broad knowledge of techniques used in negotiating cost reductions along with terms and conditions with suppliers.
- Experience in managing Procure to pay Cycle
Physical Requirements (if any)
- Required to sit for long periods of time during the day.
- Will walk, and climb stairs.
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist.
- Required to lift up to 25 lbs.
- May, kneel, stoop, talk and hear.
- Required to use hands to handle, carry or feel objects.
- Specific vision abilities are required.
- Conflict Management
- Contract Management
- Corrective And Preventive Action (Capa)