The primary responsibility of this position is the support, coordination and ongoing improvement of the Process Safety Management (PSM) programs for CVR Energy facilities. This position will also support and enforce the Accident Prevention Program Elements of the EPA Risk Management Program (RMP).
The Manager, Process Safety Management (PSM) reports directly to the VP EHSS and will support all facilities for Process Safety Management related activities. The Manager, Process Safety Management (PSM) is a subject matter expert, serves in a leadership role to promote and enhance PSM, and has ownership and responsibility for relevant Process Safety Management activities including, but not limited to: overall Process Safety Management implementation, inclusive of employee participation in Process Safety Management related activities, process hazard analysis (PHA), pre-startup safety reviews (PSSR), process safety information, training, audits and risk management as it relates to process safety elements. This role includes both coordination and direct service delivery function. The Principle PSM Engineer is required to facilitate, coordinate, and/or perform PSM responsibilities.
The PSM Manager liaises with facility Safety & PSM Managers and other departments for alignment to enterprise-wide Process Safety Management requirements, objectives and goals. The PSM Manager also liaises with PSM personnel who are under the direct supervision of the facility Safety & PSM Manager, providing governance and assurance for effective implementation of the Process Safety Management program at their respective facility. The PSM Manger helps ensure the PSM programs receive appropriate attention, priority, management support and resources needed to function effectively with a focus on continuous improvement.
All activities will be delivered while maintaining CVR’s core values: Safety, Environment, Integrity, Corporate Citizenship and Continuous Improvement.
* Engineering Bachelor’s Degree desired; Chemical Engineering preferred; other Engineering, Science or Health & Safety degrees considered
* Masters Degree in PSM or EHS field preferred
* Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification desired
* 12+ years of experience in refining, fertilizer manufacturing or chemical processing industry experience required
* Demonstrated knowledge of regulatory compliance standards, 29 CFR 1910 series and 40 CFR Part 68 with Emphasis on Process Safety and Risk Management program elements, required
* Experience facilitating Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) and Hazardous Operability Studies (HAZOPs), preferred
* Experience in leading teams in complex investigations, required
* Experience in implementing API standards related to mechanical integrity
* Intermediate level computer skills (Word processing, graphics, spreadsheet) required
* Excellent technical writing skills required
* Fluent in English, both oral and written communication required
* Mechanical aptitude, analytic and problem solving skills necessary
* Presentation and or training experience required
* Desire to work in a team environment either as lead or active member
* Ability to manage time and resources
* Ability to adjust schedule to meet Company deadlines and address unexpected issues
* Champion the adoption, implementation, and assurance of PSM across the various site departments to ensure company best practices and procedures are understood, implemented and followed.
* Maintain company PSM Standards
* Supports the Incident Management Process and Incident Investigations associated with identified Process Safety Events.
* Provide guidance concerning the mechanical integrity improvement plans for all business units
* Assist, support & provide oversight of PHA and HAZOP studies and process unit revalidations
* Ability to select and manage external process safety resources when required. Lead or serve as a team member for compliance audits and PSM assessments
* Assist business units in timely completion and tracking of risk ranked action items in site risk register
* Regularly communicate with Director and other EHS&S leads to meet goals and objectives
* Train and mentor others in process safety to understand, identify and mitigate process safety risk and create supporting reference materials
* Drive open issues to conclusion interfacing with all levels of the organization on PSM program issues
* Develop, collect, monitor, and analyze trends in Process Safety Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
* Provide technical leadership and support to identify hazards, evaluate the risk of those hazards, and assist in the development of effective solutions to mitigate risk
* Conduct necessary regulatory and technical research
* Maintain PSM/RMP program consistency throughout the organization
* Provide the organization with the guidance to continuously improve the Mechanical Integrity programs across the company
* Coordinate & provide oversight of PHA and HAZOP studies
* Create, implement and or maintain a PSM/RMP program to assure compliance and be aligned with Best Industry Practices
* Provide data management systems to support the management of all the various elements of the PSM/RMP programs for the facility
* Travel to facilities to provide expertise and direct support 30 – 50%
* Adhere to all company policies and procedures
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. The Company will not sponsor immigration or work visas. CVR Energy is an EEO and affirmative action employer.
We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran, and disabled candidates to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
- Business Process Improvement
- Certified Safety Professional