Wärtsilä is leading the transition towards a 100% renewable energy future. We Wärtsilians help our customers unlock the value of energy transition by optimizing their energy systems and future-proofing their assets. Did you know Wärtsilä has delivered 74 GW of power plant capacity and more than 80 energy storage systems in 180 countries around the world?
In this fast changing world of energy, we are constantly on the lookout for future-oriented talent to join our team and to work towards enabling sustainable societies through innovation in technology and services - together. Want to join the ride?
Project Manager – Product Development
Wärtsilä’s Energy Business is looking for a Project Manager for the Energy Storage & Optimization business.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter that can work both independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team. The candidate should thrive in a fast paced, constantly changing environment while the industry and company go through substantial growth.
Preferred location(s) for this position is Wärtsilä’s location in Herndon. You could also work remote, in the eastern time zones.
As a Project Manager you will focus on these responsibilities:
- Provide overall leadership and administrative management for Product development project that to include managing scope, requirement, schedule, cost, risk, stockholders, quality, resources, communication, and risk.
- Conducting and managing gate reviews.
- Report on projects status to upper management
- Provide leadership with high integrity and oversight of processes, protecting intellectual property, export controlled and strategic technology
- Manage the relationship with third party suppliers and vendors
- Evaluate vendor capability to perform project work and support project target
- Support cost reduction efforts, and identify cost take out
- Drive continuously improvement on product and processes
- Collaborate with the larger team to optimize requirement and needs
- Ensure project plan is met by establishing and monitoring project tasks, and plans. Assure technical excellence, timely completion of work and reviews, appropriate use of resources and consistency of methods.
- Collaborate in a team environment and/or take charge of opportunities to develop optimal solutions.
To be successful in this role, we expect you to have:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Electrical, Mechanical or system Engineering, although relevant work experience in Energy Storage and Renewables will also be considered.
- Project management experience in the energy storage, power generation and renewable energy projects and products.
- 5+ years of project management experience focusing on power systems, energy storage and renewable energy.
- Understanding of utility generation project engineering, construction, and commissioning processes.
- Knowledge of energy storage certifications and compliances
- Proficient in MS Project and the MS Office Suite.
- Applicant must have good English communication skills, be motivated, organized, self-sufficient, personable, curious, and able to complete tasks without strict oversight.
- Passion for innovation, ability to adapt to fasting changing market demands, working independently and as a team member.
- Willingness to take ownership of issues and initiatives.
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong work ethic.
- PMP is preferred
- Ability to work with global team from different backgrounds and on different time zones
- A dedication and commitment to results in a dynamic and fast developing environment
- Knowledge of design and manufacturing process and techniques is preferred
- Knowledge in product development and/or R&D field
- Knowledge on creating and managing project requirements
- Maintain positive working relationships with customers, peers, subordinates, vendors, shop and office in a fast-paced environment
- Team player attitude internally and externally
- Entrepreneurial drive with hunter mind-set
- Flexible and willing to adapt and learn
- Willing to travel 25% of the time
- Location: Must be in the east coast, preferably Herndon, Virginia.
Why you and us
You will be a part of a global organization with local presence and work in an exciting and dynamic working environment with highly motivated and skilled co-workers. We offer interesting and challenging work tasks, as well as personal and professional development in a great team.
If you feel excited by being a part of this working environment and think your personal skills and qualities match the job requirements, we look forward to receiving your job application.
Successful applicant must be authorized to work in the USA without sponsorship.
We look forward to hearing from you. Qualified candidates must apply online: [ Link removed ]
Wärtsilä North America values our employees. We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Wärtsilä North America is an EOE/AA employer.
Vaccination is a vital tool to reduce the presence and severity of COVID-19 cases in the workplace, in communities, and in the nation as a whole. The spread of COVID when working in customer facilities and project sites can lead to costly site shutdowns, for which Wärtsilä could be deemed financially responsible. Many local government authorities require proof of vaccination to enter the state or country, and many of our customers require proof of vaccination to be on a project site. In line with legal regulations Wärtsilä has implemented a COVID-19 policy on vaccination and testing to reduce the risk of transmission on Wärtsilä premises. Wärtsilä strongly encourages all employees to be vaccinated to protect themselves and other employees.
Last application date: 25/08/2022
At Wärtsilä we value, respect and embrace all our differences, and are committed to diversity, inclusion and equal employment opportunities; everyone can be their true self and succeed based on their job-relevant merits and abilities.
This is Wärtsilä
Wärtsilä Energy leads the transition towards a 100% renewable energy future. We help our customers in decarbonisation by developing market-leading technologies. These cover future-fuel enabled balancing power plants, hybrid solutions, energy storage and optimisation technology, including the GEMS energy management platform. Wärtsilä Energy’s lifecycle services are designed to increase efficiency, promote reliability and guarantee operational performance. Our track record comprises 74 GW of power plant capacity and more than 80 energy storage systems delivered to 180 countries around the world. [ Link removed ]
Wärtsilä is a global leader in innovative technologies and lifecycle solutions for the marine and energy markets. We emphasise innovation in sustainable technology and services to help our customers continuously improve their environmental and economic performance. Our dedicated and passionate team of 17,000 professionals in more than 200 locations in 68 countries shape the decarbonisation transformation of our industries across the globe. In 2021, Wärtsilä’s net sales totalled EUR 4.8 billion. Wärtsilä is listed on Nasdaq Helsinki. Find out more at [ Link removed ] .
- Attention To Detail
- Certified Project Management Professional
- Commercial Awareness