Element Environmental Laboratory has an opportunity for an Laboratory Operations Manager in our Deeside, UK location. The Operations Manager role will report into the General Manager and is responsible for the overall day to day operation of the laboratory. The Operations Manager will be required to coordinate and work closely with the existing functional team heads in order to maximise the operational efficiency of the laboratory while maintaining high levels of safety, quality and service.
In this role you will be responsible for ensuring that the laboratory operation has both the capability and the capacity to deliver the services required to support the testing function of the business and you will drive the operational excellence, with a focus on LEAN management practices.
The ideal candidate is a confident and assertive individual with the ability to provide effective leadership, motivate staff and foster a collaborative team spirit in a dynamic laboratory environment. You will have the ability to lead by example embodying core company values; quality and professional integrity. A sound knowledge of the laboratory environment including health, safety and quality processes with the ability to ensure that these are clearly relayed, understood and adhered to will be essential.
Skills / Qualifications
- Ensure that the environmental conditions of the laboratory are appropriate for the testing performed and provide a safe environment meeting regulatory requirements in which employees and visitors are protected from physical, chemical and biological hazards
- Understand and implement the company safety policy and procedures and ensure that safe systems are work in place for all activities undertaken
- Ensure that the quality control and quality assurance programs are maintained to assure the quality of laboratory services provided and to identify failures in quality as they occur. Ensure operational adherence to applicable policies and procedures by all operational staff
- Where applicable propose and participate in projects for improvement to existing facilities and services and support projects which require change and / or improvement to the existing facilities and services
- Establish where necessary and maintain existing operational standards for cost control, waste reduction, quality, safety, and on-time delivery
- Monitor utilisation patterns of lab personnel and advise the lab management team and other appropriate staff of developing trends in service needs
- Ensure all equipment / instrumentation is properly maintained and serviced complying with regulatory standards where applicable and or to ensure proper performance and function
- Monitor utilisation patterns of laboratory equipment / instrumentation and advise Leadership and other appropriate staff of developing trends in service needs
- Make daily rounds in Laboratory to judge effectiveness of operation, utilisation of personnel and supplies, and general ethical and professional atmosphere. Coordinate the Laboratory training and identify skills gaps and look at ways to develop required skills that are aligned with resource plans (maintain training requirements of lab technicians and analysts)
- Direct and participate in the human resource management function for the lab by coordinating the selection, promotion, orientation and performance appraisal processes
- Establish a good working relationship with the laboratory team. Understand their workload, challenges and constraints
- Support the General Manager in the delivery of financial / quality / HSE reporting
- Degree level in a relevant scientific or technical discipline
- A minimum of 10 years Environmental testing or similar industry experience essential
- LEAN Management experience (5S, Visual Management, VSM etc.) with good attention to detail
- Knowledge of the operation of an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory
- Prior experience in managing people and laboratory operations
- Proven wide range of commercial laboratory testing knowledge and specialist knowledge may be held on several specific areas of analytical testing
- Experience in managing high throughput commercial laboratories
- Track record of training / mentoring others to a high degree of competence
- A professional individual with excellent interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to foster trust and respect from others
- Experience in environmental testing specifically, while preferable, is not required
At Element, we always take pride in putting our people first. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our Vision of becoming “the world’s most trusted testing partner”.
All suitably qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective work related criteria and without regard for the following: race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, and/or protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the applicable governing laws.
- Attention To Detail
- Business Efficiency
- Coaching And Mentoring