Borrego is seeking a Director of Business Development, Energy Storage to join our growing team! We offer a hybrid work environment, allowing you to work remotely 2-3 days a week and from the office 2-3 days a week.
At Borrego, we don’t accept the status quo. We are driven by a culture of teamwork, fearless thinking, safety, and adaptability as we pursue our mission to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. With more than 850 MW already installed, we’re excited about the “Gigawatt Revolution” and growth happening across our company as we shift from megawatts to gigawatts of large-scale solar and energy storage in the coming years.
After 40 years in business, Borrego is a trusted name in the solar industry and well-known for our strong employee culture. We combine the stability and wisdom gained by decades in business with an entrepreneurial spirit. Our employees are driven and animated by the [ Link removed ] , an operating framework detailing our mission, vision, strategy, and cultural principles and working systems.
About the Role
Two years ago, driven by increasing volatility in supply chains and the ever-present need to reduce solar and energy storage project costs, we saw both a systematic need and a market opportunity to dramatically improve the experience of major equipment procurement. As a result, we launched Anza, now a separate division of Borrego that offers our customers access to the highest value solar and storage products for their projects. Our vision for Anza is to be the place the solar and storage industry goes to rapidly make optimal design and procurement decisions, and our ability to convey compelling energy storage solutions is critical to realizing that vision.
The Director of Business Development, Energy Storage priority is to drive bookings and pipeline growth for our energy storage product solutions. In this dynamic and pivotal role, you’ll work alongside account managers in establishing and maintaining strong relationships with key IPP customers, project developers, storage vendors and financiers. The successful Business Development Director is an entrepreneurial leader who is comfortable in a range of economic, technical, and structural contexts associated with complex project development, and who thinks flexibly and strategically to organize ad hoc deal structures with cross-functional teams.
You will be part of a nimble and growing team focused on building our energy storage solution pipeline. In this context you’ll work closely with our experienced energy storage product team to identify the most attractive product supply options for our developer & IPP customers. Your experience with utility-scale project development and your familiarity with the major equipment supplier landscape will provide invaluable context for our team as we grow. As Director of Business Development you will report to the VP of Solutions, and will collaborate with counterparts on Borrego’s EPC sales team to drive Borrego’s overall energy storage pipeline. Our ideal applicant will be a tenacious, determined, creative problem-solver, self-motivated and independent, a great communicator, and highly organized, with the ability to manage multiple projects in parallel and to prioritize competing demands.
Location: Flexible. Lowell, MA, Latham, NY, Oakland or San Diego, CA.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Book distribution and transmission level storage opportunities, from identification through contract signing
- Develop strategic and balanced business strategies for target markets and project types in support of growing Borrego’s energy storage product business
- Meet or exceed annual sales volume targets on the order of multiple 100s of megawatt hours annually. Those volume targets will be the result of a business development plan on which you and your manager will collaborate
- Gather market intelligence and expand relationships with developer and IPP customers, governments, utilities, and regional transmission authorities to deeply understand the development environment, continuously refine that understanding, and use it to adjust strategy
- Generate energy storage opportunities through collaboration with existing accounts and independent activities including account profiling, cold calls, business networking and other market penetration strategies
- Generate proposals, quotes, and formal RFP responses
- Work independently and collaboratively
- Work with account management, legal, and executive teams to negotiate contract terms and close transactions
- Work with Borrego’s Storage Product Team, Engineers and Finance teams to identify the most appropriate technical, material and financial solutions to optimize system competitiveness and be able to clearly present combined technical and financial solutions to clients
- Represent Borrego Solar at marketing events such as trade shows and industry events. Participate in panel discussions
- Maintain accurate information for the EPC storage pipeline using Borrego’s systems of record
While no one individual will possess them all, the successful candidate will bring many of the following experiences, skills, and attributes:
Required Skills and Experience:
- Strong understanding of bulk electricity system market structure, rules and regulations, and economics, with some proficiency in the engineering and physics of the system
- Preferred experience in the utility scale storage industry; or, if not, equivalent knowledge and experience in a similar and/or adjacent energy project development context
- Successful track record in a complex sales or project development environment, preferably in energy storage, and/or solar By “complex sales” we mean large, technical, construction and/or financial products with long sales cycles, that require relationship building, lead generation, navigation of complexity, and deal closing
- Ability to filter through lots of information to figure out what matters, and to prioritize truly promising opportunities from others
- Demonstrated ability to both lead and follow in cross-functional teams, and to be a great teammate
- Understanding of key quantitative business concepts, including both probabilistic thinking and financial metrics (NPV, IRR, etc)
- Ability to spend time in-person with customers and travel frequently in assigned territory (20-50% travel)
- 5-10 years in the energy and/or renewables industry
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or other advanced degree preferred
- Excitement about growing along with a fast-paced, dynamic company; comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to build, experiment, and iterate when the path forward is undefined
- A passion for renewable energy, addressing the climate crisis, and accelerating the clean energy transformation
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Borrego uses an internally equitable and externally competitive total cash approach to compensation. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance; a comprehensive wellness program; 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting; continuing education and professional development assistance; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
Our corporate culture fosters collaboration, a growth mindset, and the ability to take risks — and we value innovative thinkers who will help us reach our ambitious growth goals. We believe that flexibility and work-life balance are important parts of long-term employee happiness and productivity. Our employees are trusted to get their work done and are given the freedom to do so when they are their most efficient, creative, and engaged.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Borrego values the diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and contributions of all employees. We want all our employees to feel like they belong and are empowered to be their most authentic selves at work. We’re actively committed to fostering diversity and creating an inclusive environment not only within our own organization but also within the renewable energy industry.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this – and every – search. Borrego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. EEO M/F/D/V.
A Note to Third-Party Recruiters
Borrego\u0027s People + Culture team coordinates all recruiting and hiring at our company. Borrego does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies. Resumes are only accepted from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies if a signed agreement is in place AND if external recruiting assistance is authorized by the People + Culture team for a specific position. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Borrego. Borrego is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
- Account Management
- Business Concepts
- Business Development
- Cold Calling