Senior Advisor, Mine Optimisation
- Promote the use of mathematical optimisation to improve resources value
- Support multiple product groups and commodities globally
- Challenge yourself and influence others to think outside of the box
- Located in Brisbane, Perth or Montreal (other locations may be considered for the right candidate)
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Advisor, Mine Optimisation to join our Operations Research & Decision Science (ORDS) to promote the use of mathematical optimisation across Rio Tinto.
This role is a great opportunity to work with many stakeholders to provide technical support and expert advice on a range of optimisation projects and grow your technical career.
We are an open, connected international team of technical specialists using some of the most exciting data and tools on the planet. We are the world leader in automation and smart mining.
We have technical development programmes that are industry-leading and recognise the unique nature of your role. These provide opportunities to grow your career through a dedicated technical path while being rewarded for your unique skills.
Reporting to the Principal Advisor, Mine Optimisation and working in a collaborative and exciting environment within the Rio Tinto Analytics Team (PACE Analytics), you will:
- Identify improvement opportunities, developing optimisation applications, and providing class-leading specialist technical support to mine optimisation projects in collaboration with stakeholders.
- Identify best practices in the area of mine planning optimisation and driving/ embedding their use across the Group, including maintaining a Group-wide forum (e.g. the Operations Research Community of Practice) to facilitate knowledge-sharing, replication of best practice & collaboration.
- Define, articulate and communicate the value that optimisation adds to Rio Tinto.
- Maintain a network of third-party partners and manage engagement.
What you’ll bring
- A tertiary qualification in related engineering & business disciplines
- A post-graduate or Ph.D. in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering or related disciplines.
- Demonstrated class-leading expertise in applying mathematical optimisation in mine planning & scheduling
- Practical Mine Planning and Optimization experience for different mining methods (open-cut and underground mining) across multiple time horizons including Strategic Planning
- Previous exposure to multiple mine optimization software packages (design, planning, scheduling, modelling)
- Successful application of mineral economics and financial modelling techniques for projects & studies
- Strong knowledge in related fields such as Geology, Processing, Geotechnical, Metallurgy, Logistics and Marketing
- Demonstrated communication skills, including an ability to build relationships with stakeholders
- Excellent writing skills, attention to detail and an ability to problem solve
Other skills and attributes considered for the role
- Experience in technical consulting services including requirement to collaborate with multiple disciplines and stakeholders
- Exposure to software product delivery or data systems engineering with a focus on optimization systems, Big Data, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence solutions
- Confidence in helping PACE mature our Model Development Lifecycles, Product Quality Processes, Peer Review Practices, and related development practices
- Qualifications, experience or practical application in Computer Science, Software Engineering, ML Engineering, or similar fields
- Python, R, .Net, Json, C++ language mix
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
Where you will be working
PACE Analytics is focused on improving performance through smarter ways of working by driving an innovative and “disruptive” technology culture. By partnering with Rio Tinto product groups and functions, our team is developing innovative ideas to solve problems and enable better decisions through data analytics.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.