Local Unit & Position Description
As part of DNV’s Energy Systems Offshore Technology business area, our Jack-Up, Geotechnical and Metocean team is at the forefront of implementing the green energy transition around the world today. Our team of 20 structural, geotechnical and metocean engineers provides sophisticated solutions and engineering assessments to support offshore renewable energy installation projects around the globe, as well as ensuring safe offshore operations for our oil and gas customers.
The team has a focus on the installation and operation of jack-up vessels that are currently used to install wind turbines and perform oil and gas activities offshore.
We are seeking a talented and motivated structural engineer to join us in delivering innovative and safe assessments of these jack-ups to maximise the operability of the vessels whilst ensuring that they have an appropriate factor of safety against wind, wave, current and seismic loading. You will work within a team on the structural and dynamic analysis of all types of jack-up platforms and associated structures including finite element modelling of complex structures. You will develop a strong grounding in the Site-Specific Analysis of jack-ups and gradually develop expertise in a wide range of structural analysis for offshore structures including: static & dynamic analysis, fatigue analysis, impact analysis, earthquake response analysis.
You will be trusted and supported to lead projects and liaise with our internal and external clients directly so that you can develop further as a well-rounded engineer and also gain an appreciation for our clients’ key concerns and needs. An ability for critical thinking and attention to detail, both to scrutinise the supplied site information, ensuring that all risks have been addressed, and to produce smart solutions, will be most valuable in your work.
As the quality of our work is paramount, you will be actively supported by the other structural engineers in our team who are experts in the various aspects of jack-up foundation behaviour. We also collaborate closely with colleagues within the wider DNV organisation.
Producing the best quality engineering calculations, judgements and reports is key to what we do, but we are also a friendly team, keen to share knowledge and experience to develop your potential. Your views and suggestions will always be valued within the team and we are continually progressing new ways of working efficiently.
We are ideally seeking a structural engineer with relevant experience in offshore engineering and a master’s degree in a related discipline such as civil or mechanical engineering. Previous experience of jack-up assessments and/or finite element analyses would be advantageous.
- Successful delivery of structural analyses in accordance with international codes and guidelines, ensuring delivery on-time and within budget.
- Completion and delivery of high-quality technical reports.
- Support preparation of technical proposals.
- Ongoing technical development
- Regular client interaction.
- Management of own projects
- Degree qualified in relevant engineering discipline (e.g. Civil, Mechanical).
- Knowledge of structural analysis (e.g. fracture mechanics, Finite Element Analysis, stress analysis, structural design, wave dynamics, seismic design, engineering materials, etc.)
- Methodical and effective project management skills: ability to proactively plan and co-ordinate key activities. Ability to meet with prospective clients, to plan, price and win new work and to manage that work to completion both to budget and timeframe.
- Proactive and with ability to work under own initiative with limited supervision
- Adaptable and reactive with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and maintain high performance without compromising on quality, when working to challenging deadlines.
- Motivated to work towards chartership
- Background in Offshore structures, Oil&Gas or Offshore Wind.
- Knowledge of industry assessment software (FEA (Abaqus/Ansys), AQWA, etc.)
There are plenty of opportunities for personal growth through our 70-20-10 philosophy (70% learning on the job, 20% coaching and 10% training) and an individual career development plan.
The position is rewarded appropriately, including benefits such as:
Company & Business Area Description
- A permanent contract.
- Lifestyle benefits (26 days of annual leave + opportunity for up to 10 days unpaid leave, sabbatical leave, flexible working options).
- A mentoring scheme and access to industry experts from whom you can receive training and support.
- Wellbeing benefits (incl. Private Medical and Dental Insurance, Medical check-ups, Gym allowance and free fruit) as well as plenty of initiatives related to physical and mental wellbeing such as Yoga lessons, charity events, etc.
- Travel benefits (incl. Season Ticket Loan Cycle to Work Scheme).
- Life assurance and employer-matched pension contributions (employer contribution - up to 9%).
- Re-imbursement of relevant Professional Membership Fees (up to £500).
- and many, many more!
DNV GL is the technical advisor to the energy sector spanning oil and gas and renewables. We bring a broader view to complex business and technology risks in global and local markets. Providing a neutral ground for industry cooperation, we create and share knowledge with our customers, setting standards for technology development and implementation. From project initiation to decommissioning, our independent experts enable companies to make the right choices for a safer, smarter and greener future.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!
- Attention To Detail