We Are Sempra: Advancing a Better Future for All
As a premier energy infrastructure company serving 36 million consumers in North America, Sempra embraces its role as a leader in advancing a net-zero future. At Sempra, you can help shape a better future for our communities and our planet, alongside a workforce of 19,000 talented teammates. As an equal opportunity employer, Sempra is proud to bring together people with diverse perspectives and experiences. The company is consistently recognized for its sustainable business practices and long-standing commitment to building a high-performing culture focused on safety, workforce development and training, and diversity and inclusion. Sempra is the only North American utility sector company included on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index and was also named one of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for 2021 by Fortune Magazine. Join us as we collaborate in providing cleaner, safer and more reliable energy to our customers and communities.
This position will provide tax expertise for the international tax function. In general, the senior tax analyst will: (1) review the work of Tax Accountants and Tax Analysts, (2) ensure completion of filing requirements and financial statement tax disclosures on a timely and accurate basis for the regulated and unregulated businesses, (3) respond to or direct staff to respond to tax and/or financial statement audits of the company and its subsidiaries, (4) analyze and quantify any tax impact to the company of current tax law and proposed tax legislation, (5) research tax positions under the direction and guidance of senior tax members, (6) identify favorable or simplified alternative reporting position for assigned function or business unit, and (7) develop tax planning opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities are as follows for each specialty:
* TAX ACCOUNTING:
* Ensure the completion of tax accounting (ASC 740) for the company and its subsidiaries, including financial statement and regulatory tax disclosures.
* Lead the effort to manage the tax requirements for the financial forecasting and strategic planning for assigned business unit, entities, and responsibilities.
* Monitor, identify, research, quantify, and effectively communicate tax accounting treatment for the tax provision and planning strategies, in particular for assigned business unit, entities, and responsibilities; develop and maintain professional business relationships with the assigned business units.
* Monitor existing and emerging tax laws, GAAP, and SEC regulations, including researching and quantifying any impact to the company’s financial statements; maintain strong knowledge of the industry and the business.
* Coordinate and review the company’s responses to the financial statement auditor’s information and data requests and proposed adjustments to ensure accuracy and completeness.
* TAX COMPLIANCE:
* Ensure the completion of the tax returns, as well as estimated tax payments for the company and its subsidiaries.
* Manage the completion of income tax information for the financial statement tax disclosures including managing the tax input for the financial plans for all entities and projects.
* Monitor, identify, research, quantify and effectively communicate proper tax return reporting positions and filing requirements arising from business activities and planning strategies implemented for assigned business unit, entities, and responsibilities; develop and maintain professional business relationships with the assigned business units.
* Monitor existing and emerging tax laws, legislation and rulings, and research, analyze and quantify any tax impact to the company; maintain strong knowledge of the industry and the business.
* Coordinate and review the company’s responses to auditor’s information data requests and notice of proposed adjustments to ensure accuracy and completeness.
* Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
* Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Business Administration required.
* Master's Degree Tax or Accounting and/or CPA license preferred.
* 5 years experience, or equivalent training and/or experience.
* Experience in a large CPA firm/corporate tax department preferred.
* Must reside in Southern California or be willing to relocate upon hire.
Skills and Abilities:
* Requires proficiency in tax and computer software applications including Microsoft Excel and Word.
* Advanced Spanish writing, reading, and speaking skills required.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
- Business Administration
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Income Tax