- Interacts and works with the site Operations organization. Develops and maintains good communication, presentation and interpersonal skills that help Operations and other functional groups implement those process changes or procedures necessary to comply with the regulations and requirements. Remains responsive to routine requests for Information from Operations and other functional groups. Facilitates the writing or writes site safety procedures and helps Operations and other functional groups translate requirements into written procedures.
- Develops and recommends business driven and cost-effective strategies : Demonstrates an untiring effort to find new and better ways to comply with new and existing regulations and requirements that reduce the burden on Operations and other functional groups.
- Develops and delivers training to the site for safety issues : Develops training materials pertaining to safety issues as required by the site due to new or changing Federal or State regulations. Provides the training materials to the parties responsible for delivering site training or may deliver the training directly to the site employees.
- Maintains records to demonstrate compliance. Reviews plant modifications for safety systems and supporting documentation to illustrate compliance to the regulations and VPP Star requirements with confidence and ease. Interacts with agency inspectors in a manner that minimizes negative impacts.
- Negotiations with Agencies. Develops the confidence, capability, and willingness to maintain the site's position with an agency representative, as appropriate, on the interpretation and applicability of a regulation or requirement.
- Participates in Trade Association meetings (e.g. Tcc, VPPPA, ASSE) for assigned field.
- Works with supervisor on professional and personal development and career planning.
- Reduces safety costs through the implementation of Best Practices at the site.
- Works with the region and other site safety organizations on consolidated contracts which add value to the organization.
- Supports opportunity projects (e.g. ERT training requirements, etc.) in the most cost effective manner.
- Works with Operations and the regional organization to maintain compliance so that unwarranted agency inspections do not occur. Develops a business oriented behavior for implementing regulatory requirements.
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of the site and processes.
- Works with Operations and the regional organization to implement processes to meet regulatory requirements and ensure operating flexibility.
- Evaluates process changes for safety impact or compliance (Management of Change).
- Evaluates new chemicals for safety impact or compliance.
- Holds signature authority to issue releases against standing purchasing orders at the discretion of the Site HSE Manager.
This position is salaried exempt status, which means you are not eligible for overtime pay.Qualifications
- Bachelor's or higher level degree in Engineering or related Science is required.
- 2 years of safety experience required.
- Experience representing a company to regulatory agencies is required.
All successful candidates must be eligible to obtain a TWIC card (Transportation Worker Identification Credential). It is Valero’s policy that employees must wear this card at all times while working at the refinery. Please review eligibility criteria at [ Link removed ] .
Position level and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Valero's employees are the heart of its success, and there is a reason why the company is an employer of choice in the fuels manufacturing and marketing industry. It’s not just the excellent benefits package, or the opportunities for personal growth, it’s also the caring and committed culture of the organization that makes everyone feel like they’re truly part of a team. For more information, visit Valero.com.
Valero is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected status, including race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Please be advised, if you are viewing this position on a website that lists an estimated salary rate/range, it was not provided by Valero. Valero’s market specific salary rate/range will be provided during the recruiting process and tends to be higher than what is estimated by such websites.
- Interpersonal Skills
- Purchasing Process
- Regulatory Requirements
- Strategic Thinking