Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont ([ Link removed ] ) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont's core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont's industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
About this role:
What will you be responsible for?
Your role will consist of:
The Operational Intelligence Engineer is responsible for developing value-adding solutions and applications using the OsiSoft PI application suite. The primary application used to generate the value is the PI Asset Framework, supported by PI Vision visualizations.
The incumbent’s role is to craft, deploy and support ongoing development of various analytical functions and associated dashboards. The solutions are focused on the value levers of throughput increases, recovery increases and operating cost reductions. The solutions are predominantly focused on control system and process control initiatives, but also support other fields where the PI Asset Framework engine is the appropriate underlying application.
The incumbent provides PI configuration standards governance and maintains the global specifications for all PI application development. The incumbent is to ensure that PI power-users across the business are aware of and adhere to the global PI specifications. The incumbent is also responsible to ensure that standard methodologies are shared among the Newmont PI user-base, and that value-adding solutions are replicated across equivalent use-cases wherever practical.
The incumbent shall work with the IT applications infrastructure team to report on PI system availability metrics, and to continuously improve processes around version upgrades, patching, stability and integrity of the entire PI application suite.
The incumbent continuously supervises the efficiency of all configured PI Analytics configured across PI instances globally. The incumbent is accountable for any degradation in performance of the PI analysis function. The incumbent is to act as a customer concern point for diagnosing and rectifying issues with previously developed applications and solutions using the PI application suite.
The incumbent is required to mentor and develop site and regional control system, metallurgy and other power-users on PI application development best-practice. The incumbent will be responsible for granting power-users appropriate levels of system access whilst maintaining the framework for standard permission levels.
The incumbent will have a solid understanding of the gold processing value-chain, and be able to find opportunities for improvements with metallurgy, process, process control or data visualization based initiatives. The incumbent should be able to communicate technically and competently across all levels in processing facilities globally up to and including the site process managers.
The incumbent is required to participate in the global fixed plant control system community where lessons learned and standard methodologies are shared.
This position covers multiple sites and regions and is based out of the Denver head office. Qualified candidates living in proximity to one of our North America operations will also be considered. The position works with the Manager, Process Control.
Here is a snapshot of what your day to day will look like:
• We evaluate the reason and subsequent development of high-value analytical solutions and associated visualizations.
• We identify and/or support new high value opportunities through the monitoring of process plant and process control performance from within the PI application suite.
• We develop and continuously improve global specifications for best-practice PI application development, hierarchy organization and analysis monitoring.
• We develop and maintain metrics to report on the health and availability of the PI application suite
• We maintain the efficiency, reliability and integrity of all developed PI applications and analysis
• We solve and diagnose PI system faults and reporting
• We participate in the fixed plant control community of practice.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training, skills, and experience checklist:
Here is what we would need to see from you!
• Tertiary engineering qualification in process/metallurgical/chemical engineering, software, statistics, data science or control systems.
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in process improvement, with significant operations experience
• Very solid understanding of OsiSoft PI historian and PI asset-framework systems is critical
• High level understanding of the following elements:
- Process engineering, particularly hydrometallurgy and materials handling
- Process modeling and analytics
- Statistical and mathematical analysis
- Visualization and dashboarding
- Metallurgical accounting and reporting
- An understanding of programming practices
- Interrogation and efficient reporting of SQL and other databases
Skills and Abilities:
Working conditions and location:
• Sophisticated digital literacy (word, excel, databases, statistical tools)
• Strong troubleshooting and problem solving ability
• High attention to detail and effective communication
• Ability to mentor and influence technical resources regionally and globally
• Ability to interact competently with stakeholders at different levels up to and including site process managers
• Ability to work effectively with site and broader control system teams
• Familiarity with data security standard methodologies
• Understanding of Business Improvement concepts
• Understand value drivers and economics of mining and mineral processing
Where you will be located!
• The position is based in Denver, qualified candidates living in proximity to one of our North America operations will also be considered.
• Occasional travel to sites domestically and internationally will be required.
• The working arrangement is a hybrid of office and home.
The salary range offered for this role is $98,400.00 - 129,150.00. The salary range is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The salary offer to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The salary offer will not be based on a candidate’s salary history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about salary history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont.
This role will be eligible for participation in a discretionary annual bonus program, pursuant to which an employee may be awarded a percentage of their salary based on the company’s performance and their own individual performance.
Newmont offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package to support physical, mental, financial and emotional wellbeing. This role will be eligible for the following benefits: Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; health savings accounts; life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; short and long-term disability; 401(k) program with company match; pension; financial planning; employee assistance program (EAP); adoption assistance; dependent scholarship program; tuition reimbursement; paid holidays and paid time off; paid family leave; matching gifts; and discounts on home, auto and pet insurance. All bonuses and benefits are subject to the applicable eligibility and program/plan terms and may be modified or terminated at Newmont’s sole discretion.
Consistent with Newmont’s values of safety and responsibility, we believe that COVID-19 vaccination is a critical tool to fight this pandemic and protect the health and safety of Newmont’s workforce and the communities in which we work and live. With the wide availability of vaccines in the United States, if you are offered this position, you will have to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine prior to being hired. This requirement will be subject to an exemption process, as required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.
- Attention To Detail
- Business Process Improvement
- Chemical Engineering
- Control Systems