Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project.
It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
About the opportunity:
Jacobs Nuclear is the Design and Engineering partner for Sellafield under the PPP (Programme and Project Partners). This is a 20-year arrangement to deliver ~£7bn of major projects. We are looking to recruit high value expertise from across regulated and comparable sectors to work in a collaborative environment. PPP is delivering major projects, site wide improvements and provision of supporting services.
Jacobs Nuclear provides the front end design and engineering capability across the PPP portfolio. Being part of the PPP Team offers a unique opportunity to drive change and innovation in engineering, safety and delivery solutions in one of the most complex industrial sites in the UK if not the world. We are looking for people who are passionate about developing themselves and in meeting new challenges.
As a result of increasing demand for our services, there are significant opportunities for you to support a key project within the nuclear business.
We are currently looking for a Electrical Design Engineers to join the team in Birchwood.
Sellafield’s analytical laboratory provides analytical services to the site. The existing laboratory is reaching the end of its life and will be replaced by new facilities to be provided by the Replacement Analytical Project (RAP).
This project will re-equip and extend the existing National Nuclear Laboratory Central Laboratory to provide modern analytical facilities for the Sellafield site for several decades. The project is currently nearing the end of the Preliminary Design phase and will commence detail design within the next few months.
It includes provision of electrical power supplies, lighting and a range of other services, radiological containment and integration of analytical instrumentation.
It is split into four workstreams, three of which are concerned with the actual analytical processes and their containment, and the fourth provides all services to the other three. The multi-discipline design team is split between Risley, Warrington, and Westlakes, Whitehaven.
This particular role is ideally for a Risley based experienced EC&I Engineer to work in the division within the services (Balance of Plant) workstream.
It will involve the production of CE&I designs in line with project requirements, as well as close liaison with the other workstreams and disciplines and the Safety Case team, ensuring that the project as a whole proceeds without delays.
Of necessity the work will require regular interface with the Westlakes based design team and existing B170 plant operators and maintainers. Travel to the Sellafield site (including active areas) and the Westlakes office will therefore be necessary once we are fully out of lockdown.
PLEASE NOTE This role could potentially be managed remotely working from home, with weekly meetings based out of either Warrington, Cheshire or Westlakes, Cumbria. Applicants with the right skills are encouraged to apply regardless of their UK location.
- Develop Instrument Schedules, Block Cable Diagrams, and Instrument Data Sheets.
- Develop control panel schematic diagrams.
- Develop schemes for Instrument Loop Drawings, Hook-Up Drawings, and Instrument Mounting Drawings.
- Develop manufacturing and installation specifications to support new plant and equipment projects and/or Decommissioning projects.
- Develop Lighting and Small Power designs, including lighting and cable calcs, SLD’s etc, to support other projects.
- Participate in and advise on all design activities and initiatives, including documentation review etc.
- Proactive interaction with other disciplines to ensure overall project goals are met. Faciillitae innovative solutions to reduce cost and schedule.
- Support the Principal Electrical, Control and Instrumentation Engineer, where desired.
- Supervise Graduate Engineers/Apprentice’s.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Significant experience of working within a highly regulated industry.
- Degree/HNC Qualified or relevant experience to an equivalent level.
- Must have sound knowledge of electrical systems, control systems and process instrumentation.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members.
- Familiar with Electrical design principles.
- Knowledge of Low Voltage Directive.
- Ideally familiar with drawing checking processes
- Previous experience of working within existing Process plants / brown field sites is highly desirable though not essential providing that suitable similar experience can be demonstrated.
- The ability to work with minimal supervision, work effectively in a team and to meet deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken English & effective communication skills
- Professional attitude and a ‘can do’ approach to problem solving
- Can produce and maintain key deliverable documents/reports, calculations, schedules, etc. to programme and of appropriate quality
- Can liaise and coordinate with other design disciplines and plant engineering as necessary in the production of preliminary and detail design deliverables
- Can support the Electrical Control & Instrument design team in meetings and reviews
- Design in accordance with the IET 18th edition (BS7671)
- Ideally conversant with existing CAE tools (e.g. Auto CAD, CAESAR, PDMS)
- Fluent in MS Office suite of programmes (Word, Excel etc)
- In addition, it would be desirable to have working experience in the following:
- Amtech Pro design, AutoCAD, CAESAR, Aveva Electrical/Instruments
Complex Problem Solving