Contribute. Grow. Lead...with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem's market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2021 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Drafter/Designer within our OxyChem Plant located in New Johnsonville.
Essential Job Duties:
- Support/work with the plant Maintenance Engineer for program element development and implementation and assist with special projects where needed.
- Participate in Process Safety Management (PSM)
- Regularly present to plant leadership and other team members design/drawing updates
- Help evaluate and validate contractor performance.
- Participate in QA/QC audit processes (verify field measurements vs drawing requirements).
- Perform required QA/QC steps for new field / shop construction and verification in field.
- Participate in planned or unplanned plant outages.
- Participate in/assist with the development of MI budgets.
- Occasional travel to vendor site to perform dimensional inspections of in process equipment fabrication.
- Travel to other Oxy site(s) for CAD and design support activities
- Above all the designer must be self-motivated, results driven, and continuously striving for improvement.
- This position will require the designer to create accurate drawings of existing equipment and pipe routings using drawing scans, photos, and field measurements of equipment
- Coordinate the development of design output documentation to support minor facility modifications.
- Develop design output documents including P&IDs, electrical one-lines, electrical schematics, cable schedules, loop drawings, cabinet layouts, J-Box schedules, network communications drawings, plan/section views (piping and HVAC), elevation and isometric sketches for drawings and engineering instructions.
- CADD review against site standards and reconciling CADD project drawing files back into the master drawing files.
- Resolution of field review discrepancies with on-site/off-site vendors and managers
- Assist engineering staff with all aspects of plant pipe/mechanical design projects
- Handle customization of AutoCAD workstations, manage plotting, transfer of files, importing or converting other CAD file formats, pictures, scans, etc.
- Pulling field measurements for modification design and verification prior to installation.
- Utilize process piping knowledge to perform pipe design/drawing development.
- Create and revise piping and instrument diagrams
- Create and revise piping isometrics and plot plans
- Create AutoCAD & Navisworks drawings of structural, piping, mechanical, and electrical systems and control panels.
- Create Navisworks 3D models and drawings of piping and structural systems.
- Create fabrication drawings including spool drawings and structural details.
- Create conduit layouts and wiring schematics
- Create BOM and material takeoffs.
- Work alongside Inspector to create UT (thickness testing) location maps of piping and equipment.
- Field verify of pipe measurements and tank measurements/design for installation
- Create foundation drawings and structural steel drawings
- Knowledge of fabrication methods and processes preferred.
- Work with multiple engineering disciplines to produce timely design output.
- Supports and fulfills the requirements of the plant’s Food Safety program and ISO Quality System.
- Completes any additional responsibilities assigned by Plant Management.
- High School Diploma or GED required. Associates degree in Applied Sciences in Drafting and Design Technologies (or equivalent) preferred.
- Desired Experience: 5 years of design and drafting experience.
- Working knowledge of CADD software (2D as well as 3D)
- Working knowledge of material specifications and application.
- Expertise of piping construction codes and practices.
Environmental Conditions: This role is performed under general office conditions as well as physical demands of performing in field inspections of plant equipment.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 40 lbs, climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
“Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.”
Product Quality Assurance