Requisition ID: 113142
Job Level: Senior Level
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers has an immediate opening for a dynamic Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our geotechnical engineering leadership team in our Construction Engineering Services group in Oakville, ON. The successful candidate will bring a strong technical level, together with energy, enthusiasm, and a focus on collaboration to providing administrative, quality, and safety leadership in the execution of Kiewit projects across Eastern Canada.
The CES Geotechnical will work with an interdisciplinary team that includes civil, structural, drainage, rail, and mechanical engineers as well as estimators, schedulers and other construction professionals to identify geotechnical engineering risks and develop appropriate means and methods to facilitate construction of a full range of challenging engineering projects. The Geotechnical will be responsible for overseeing the production and/or review of engineering designs necessary to support our diverse construction operations across Eastern Canada, as well as directing the work of staff geotechnical engineers in our Oakville, ON office.
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineering's Design-Build team is driving clients to turn to Kiewit during all stages of design-build projects. Through our integrated design and construction approach, our multi-disciplinary team works together to improve schedule, control costs and minimize risk. Our construction-focused engineers work collaboratively with our estimators and builders to design solutions that are innovative, constructible, and designed with a focus on safety. Clients benefit from the proven processes and tools used by Kiewit to minimize project risk. We are an in-house resource that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff shares experiences gained, innovative concepts, and best practices for all projects that we support.
Kiewit’s management and implementation of this process leads to safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that exceeds client expectations and furthers Kiewit’s legacy of excellence. On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. We will train you, develop your skills, and allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
This position is based out of our office in Oakville, ON and includes travel to project offices and work sites, and period field assignments.
- Identifying, developing, and aligning high performance teams and individuals to meet organizational goals and support construction projects across Eastern Canada.
- Coordinating and continually monitoring staff assignments and staff workloads; developing staffing forecasts.
- Fostering an environment that emphasizes collaboration and coordination; providing feedback and encouraging learning to create growth opportunities; mentoring team members.
- Assisting in development of training strategies; overseeing technical training and ensuring the technical competency of CES Geotechnical staff.
- Ensuring designs are completed with consistent application of design standards, technical approaches, and in accordance with the design quality management program.
- Performing and coordinating with Geotechnical leadership to perform risk assessments and management reviews of temporary engineering tasks.
- Advising and providing direction to staff on proper execution of deliverables; serving as engineer of record with responsibility for design recommendations and deliverables.
- Working with pursuit teams to identify key geotechnical design risks and develop plans to mitigate those risks.
- Coordinating with Engineering staff and Construction partners to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery; ensuring effective communication between Engineering and Construction staff.
- Leading the exploration of alternate designs or new technologies to challenge the status quo and provoke exploration of new or innovative design solutions.
- Collaborating with staff and the Engineering Project Management Team to develop work scopes and labor estimates.
- Interface with Clients, Construction Personnel, Subconsultants and Regulatory Agencies.
Quality and Safety
- Leading by example with respect to safety, quality, and fostering a culture of continuous improvement.
- Coordinating with the quality management team to train staff and implement the design quality management program.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive geotechnical design experience, including Construction Engineering Services and design-build delivery (min. 5 yrs of experience in North America).
- Professional engineering registration, required.
- Master's degree in Geotechnical Engineering preferable.
- Demonstrated broad technical knowledge of geotechnical engineering and technical solutions to geotechnical issues on construction projects, including ability to develop and evaluate innovative and cost-effective design solutions to problems and challenges.
- Construction focused experience including: design of earth retention structures (MSE, soil nail, gravity walls), temporary slopes and embankments, dewatering systems, cofferdams, support of excavations (sheet piles, soldier piles and lagging, secant piles, etc.), working surfaces for cranes and equipment, deep and shallow foundations, ground improvement techniques, subgrade stabilization, settlement of compressible soils, site development, and marine engineering.
- Demonstrates strong verbal and written communication skills, with a demonstrated focus on interdisciplinary design coordination.
- Strong interpersonal skills resulting in exceptional rapport with people. Proven success in initiating, promoting, and maintaining strong interpersonal relationships amongst the team.
We believe in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and comply with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.