Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
They will be reporting to the Mine Engineering Supervisor. Accountable for maintaining mine plans and to ensure forecast production goals are achieved or exceeded in a cost-effective manner. Accountable for all aspects of the mine planning process from the mine design through to master layouts, stope plans and reconciliation process.
Provide direction and support to the operations group to help achieve and surpass the mine’s safety and production targets and to add value to the operation. This position will plan the sequence of mining activities, provide mine plans and driving layouts and monitor progress to ensure monthly forecast is achieved. Identify and mitigate potential and actual problems on a continuous basis and ensures alternatives are available to offset impact.
Safety & Sustainability Expectations:
- Become familiar and align to the Fatality Risk Management process
- Become familiar with the critical control verification process
- Be proactive with respect to safety and help design and operate a site that is the safest possible, through input and thoughts shared with others.
- Ensure regulatory and inter-company procedural compliance.
- Generate competent, workable, and safe mine plans and measure performance and effectiveness of existing designs and systems.
- Works safely, striving to achieve triple zero.
Promoting Safety and Sustainability
- Promote innovation and continuous improvement in safety by reviewing existing engineering designs and implementing new designs.
- Develop plans and designs for regulatory compliance and compliance to Company policies, procedures and standards.
- Promote and adhere to Company safety policies.
Mine Planning and Mine Design
- Develop plans and designs that are safe, cost effective and provide for efficient ore extraction with available resources.
- Optimize production and minimize dilution through mine designs and mine plans.
- Provide guidance to operating departments to maximize production, plan their activities and accurately measure key mining parameters.
- Perform economic analyses for designated ore zones to optimize margins and complete stope reconciliations to verify quality and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Monitoring performance to ensure the department’s goals and objectives are achieved.
- Participate in short term planning at the departmental level, providing input on areas to increase value and optimize use of resources.
- Plans sequence of mining activities for longhole stopes, driving layouts, longhole drilling layouts, and monitors progress to ensure monthly forecast is achieved.
- Provides blast letters and timing instruction for all longhole blasts
- Monitor drilling contract for compliance
- Complete stope reconciliation
- Carry out QAQC of designs in the field
- Assist in collecting in field survey data of production drilling and analyze plan vs. actual
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
- Engineering degree, Technician or Technologist Diploma in Mining Engineering (or equivalent)
- Competent with Deswik mine design software
- Minimum 2 years of mine operation and engineering experience.
- Leadership experience would be an asset, not requirement.
- Be technically competent and have a good understanding of U/G longhole mining.
- Have strong communication and people skills.
- Able to impact and influence in order to gain the alignment of the operations group.
- Ability to effectively establish priorities and communicate these to the operations group.
- This position is located at Borden, part of Newmont's Porcupine mine site, located near Chapleau, ON.
- In this role, you will work a 4x3/5x2 schedule. As such, if you do not live near the site,we will require relocation.
Please enter Job Number 11766 to submit your application ([ Link removed ] ). As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All properties owned by Porcupine Operations are Tobacco-Free. This includes but is not limited to all buildings, parking lots, vehicles, the surrounding wooded area, roadways, tailings, rehabilitated sites, etc.