Airport Chief Officer - Development
Job Requisition Number
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public or Business Administration, Aviation Management, Finance, Engineering, or in a field related to the job, plus at least eight (8) years of senior-level experience at airports, airlines, or comparable organizations, including six (6) years of experience which were in a managerial or executive capacity.
- Graduation with a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for two (2) years of the required experience up to a maximum of two (2) years.
Notes to Applicants
[ Link removed ]
To ensure consideration, candidates should apply by December 30, 2021
. To apply, candidates must complete this online application. Interested candidates should apply early in the process for optimum consideration. This posting will remain open until filled.Position Summary:
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is proud to offer an exciting and unique opportunity for a team member who is motivated to shape the future of AUS. The AUS team is passionate about what our airport has to offer to the Central Texas region and is seeking a professional who will share this passion. A great work environment makes this an ideal opportunity for a highly-motivated and results-oriented individual who would like to join AUS in working hard toward our strategic vision.
The Austin City Council adopted six Strategic Outcomes and Indicators in 2018 as part of its Strategic Direction 2023 to improve quality of life and civic participation in the Austin community over the next three to five years. The Airport Chief Development Officer reports to the AUS Chief Executive Officer who reports to an Assistant City Manager, who oversees the Mobility Strategic Outcome. The Airport Chief Development Officer will be responsible for supporting department programs and initiatives as it relates to the Strategic Outcomes. For more information, visit [ Link removed ]
This position operates with a high level of autonomy, and is responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction for the development, planning and engineering, capital improvement, environmental, and sustainability functions of AUS. Direct the implementation of the Airport’s Capital Development Program (CDP) and Master Plan.
When completing a City of Austin employment application:
- Serves as the primary executive manager and negotiator between AUS and the architectural, engineering, environmental, legal and contracting community
- Leads partnership activities with a wide range of stakeholders and ensures appropriate level of engagement with AUS divisions, AUS business partners, regulatory agencies, and City of Austin departments through the life cycle of capital projects.
- Works closely with the FAA in capturing federal Airport Improvement Program funding and compliance with that grant program.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of the Airport Layout Plan (ALP) to ensure compliance with all federal regulations and policies.
- Manages the Airport Master Plan including processing updates as needed, and any work related to compliance with the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA).
- Responsible for compliance with and management of environmental regulations, including the Airport’s Storm Water Pollution and Prevention Plan, and working with AUS tenant co-permittees to ensure compliance with the plan.
- Ensures effective coordination and communication with Airport tenants, other City of Austin departments, neighborhood associations, the general public, media, consultants, public agencies, or private sector representatives.
- Represents AUS interests in policy, aviation, technical, and with governmental/regulatory agencies, boards, councils, commissions, and oversight bodies.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A resume is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate, and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution and proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI).
Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities, and more. Please click [ Link removed ] for more information.
$239,000 to $249,000
Monday – Friday
(Hours may vary depending upon business needs)
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Austin Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
- Experience in program and project management, including leadership of major and complex airport capital programs, and progressively responsible experience in engineering and construction management.
- Leadership experience: managing staff, creating vision, setting direction, and interacting with community stakeholders, executive level leadership, and/or elected officials.
- Large Capital Programs – Ensuring timely and on-budget completion of individual program elements, while maintaining continuity of operations.
- Communication – Effective communication and interpersonal skills, including persuasion and negotiation skills, team building, and consensus building.
- Airport Management – Strong understanding of FAA funding, airport operations, as well as the support services necessary to run a large international hub airport, including FAA Part 139 certified airports, planning, design and construction of terminals, roadways, and airfield.
- Relationship Building – Having well-developed conflict resolution and facilitation skills, including working effectively with people at all levels of the organization and elected officials.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Directs growth, planning, and budgeting of short- and long-term infrastructure investments at the airport.
- Oversees planning, design, engineering, program and construction management, sustainability, and conservation; and manages internal resources and third-party service providers and contractors.
- Leads the annual capital planning and delivery process and ensures it advances the highest priority projects while maximizing potential funding from all sources.
- Confers with the Airport Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and other airport Chief Officers and Deputy Officers in implementing strategies to increase airport capacity as well as improve and expand existing airport facilities.
- Develops and recommends various plans, policies, and programs designed to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Oversees the coordination of Capital Improvement Programs with airport business partners and other airport divisions to ensure that projects are designed and constructed with minimal disruption to airport operations.
- Ensures effective coordination and communication with airport tenants, other City departments, neighborhood associations, the general public, media, consultants, public agencies, or private sector representatives.
- Represents the department’s interests in policy, aviation, and technical issues with governmental/regulatory agencies, boards, councils, commissions, and oversight bodies.
- Monitors industry trends and implements best practices.
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Local, State, and Federal laws, regulations, and ordinances affecting the department.
- Knowledge of principles and methods of budget and long-range plan preparation, maintenance, and controls.
- Knowledge of the technical aspects of design, construction, maintenance, repair, and operation of the physical assets of public facilities.
- Knowledge of strategic business planning, organizational change strategies, and performance measurement to achieve business excellence.
- Skill in developing flexible and adaptable strategies to achieve organizational goals by understanding the organizational capabilities, airline market conditions, the regulatory environment, and technological advancements.
- Skill in managing and allocating financial and human resources to execute operational and business plans.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with City employees, City Council, the media, and the public.
- Skill in leading and managing a diverse workforce including department employees and contractors in an airport environment.
- Ability to design short- and long-term strategies/programs that are scalable and efficient in a large and complex organization.
- Ability to develop strategic direction and program implementation collaboratively with various stakeholder/community groups.
- Ability to develop, implement, and administer goals, objectives, and procedures for providing effective and efficient services for the department and City of Austin.
- Ability to address customer evolving expectations.
- Ability to work with and coordinate between multiple City departments and internal business units to meet goals and objectives.
- Ability to make decisions and develop innovative approaches to deal with frequent change, unexpected events, conflict, and uncertain situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing and develop and deliver public presentations.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
This position requires graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public or Business Administration, Aviation Management, Finance, Engineering, or in a field related to the job, plus at least eight (8) years of senior-level experience at airports, airlines, or comparable organizations, including six (6) years of experience which were in a managerial or executive capacity. Do you meet these minimum requirements?
Graduation with a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for two (2) years of the required experience up to a maximum of two (2) years.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA-division of the USA Dept. of Homeland Security) requires all employees of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to pass a minimum 10-year criminal background investigation and security threat assessment. Do you agree to a minimum 10-year criminal background investigation and security threat assessment?
- Cover Letter
- Business Administration
- Business Excellence
- Business Strategies
- Certified Building Inspector