As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career goals and empower your future!
Provides technical support to the various station process groups to ensure safe and efficient plant operation. Conduct inspections, develop reports, and perform troubleshooting. Collect and trend plant operational data, analyze and make recommendations for improvement. Analyze systems to ensure the most efficient and cost-effective operation to maximize reliability and efficiency of electrical generation at the facility. Gather key plant operational data and formulate reports to present to key stake holders. Coordinate repair activities on power plant related systems. Assist in developing and/or reviewing quality plans in addition to monitoring and auditing supplier quality. Review equipment performance, applicable service bulletins, and operational history to develop immediate and long-range plans. Support various compliance assessments with outside entities to meet expectations with regulatory compliance. Support the culture for safety, environmental compliance, quality, and diversity.
- Support and emphasizes the importance of safety and environmental programs
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of power plant operation and systems.
- Develop and present reports on key plant performance metrics
- Evaluate component condition and repair options
- Perform site inspections and condition assessments to support maintenance planning
- Perform Heat Rate analysis and recommend Heat Rate improvement opportunities
- Participate and/or leads teams that focus on specific problem areas or needs for generating units
- Communicate with customers regarding condition of equipment and repair work scope
- Inspect completed work or work in progress to assure job quality
- Perform field inspections and takes field measurements
- Coordinate activities with Vendors/Contractors, other divisions and departments
- Recognizes problems and is proactive in helping to resolve them
- Champion the Change Management program
- Perform root cause analysis of system and equipment problems
- Develops quality work plans when required
- Performs engineering calculations
- Assists in outage planning and economic evaluation of projects as needed
- Develops and maintains technical specifications
- Identifies and implements new or existing repair technology
- Track service bulletins for turbines/generators and assess implementation and compliance strategy
- Identify deficiencies on systems which would contribute to the risk of forced and/or partial outages.
- Provide technical support for critical plant equipment-particularly turbines, generators, and boilers.
- Support reliability programs and analyze historical data and develop reports.
- Revise and create prints and drawings.
- Ability to write or assist in the preparation of Technical Specification documents.
- Knowledge of Lockout-Tagout process
- Office and outdoor power plant work environment
- High/low ambient temperatures and high humidity
- May require working at heights
- May require some travel
- Requires operation of a motor vehicle and a valid driver’s license
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment while in the plants
- Overtime or non-standard hours may be required
- Requires operating a personal computer
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, PI, SAP S4
- Engineering degree from an accredited college or university
- 5 years engineering related experience in steam or gas turbine equipment
- 8 years’ experience in engineering, maintenance, operations, and troubleshooting
- Training and experience in vibration analysis and balancing of large rotating equipment
- Metallurgy of steam turbines and components
- Mechanical hydraulic control systems for large steam turbines
- GE, Siemens, and ABB/Alstom
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Effective communication skills through all levels of organization.
- Ability to take a leadership role in meetings and communications
- Project management skills
- Power plant systems
- Prepare written reports and presentations
- PI System experience
- SAP S4
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs, climbing ladders, and entering plant equipment access, inspect or collect data on plant equipment.
- Ability to travel.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at [ Link removed ] )
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
- Steam Turbine
- Control Systems