We Are Sempra: Advancing a Better Future for All
As a premier energy infrastructure company serving 36 million consumers in North America, Sempra embraces its role as a leader in advancing a net-zero future. At Sempra, you can help shape a better future for our communities and our planet, alongside a workforce of 19,000 talented teammates. As an equal opportunity employer, Sempra is proud to bring together people with diverse perspectives and experiences. The company is consistently recognized for its sustainable business practices and long-standing commitment to building a high-performing culture focused on safety, workforce development and training, and diversity and inclusion. Sempra is the only North American utility sector company included on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index and was also named one of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for 2021 by Fortune Magazine. Join us as we collaborate in providing cleaner, safer and more reliable energy to our customers and communities.
This position supports Sempra Energy's Corporate Development and M&A efforts to support the company's vision and future growth plans. The position provides financial, valuation, and strategic expertise of potential investment and divestment opportunities that align with Sempra's strategy. The position must be proficient in most technical aspects of M&A (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), and can help to solve complex and non-traditional assignments assigned to the team. Additionally, this position must be able to effectively communicate issues and solutions impacting the company to management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Financial Analysis: perform advanced financial modeling to support acquisition and divestiture efforts, including pro formas, valuation, EPS accretion/dilution, credit, etc.; partner with senior members of the team to model complex and nuanced transaction / financing structures, such as joint ventures, swaps, earnouts, non-conventional financing securities, etc.; advanced understanding of Sempra's corporate structure with the ability to anticipate financial and economic implications of transactions at various levels of the organization; advanced understanding of various financial instruments and their uses and implications on financial metrics and rating agency treatment.
* Strategic Analysis: exhibits strong creativity skills and ability to think creatively and find solutions; capability to evaluate issues from multiple angles, "connect all of the dots", and distill the issues and solutions into a clear, concise story for Sempra senior management; ability to handle and analyze most projects, which can span several complex topics (e.g., financial, strategic, tax, commercial, corporate structure, corporate vision, etc.); exhibits commercial mindset specific to the industry and energy value chain.
* Project Management: supports certain phases within an M&A process, including documentation, due diligence, project calendar, and other administrative processes; coordinate efforts in a proactive manner between internal subject matter experts, Sempra senior management, and external resources / advisors; develops critical interpersonal relationships.
* Sector Ad-Hoc Analysis: create summaries and assessments of transactions, competitor activity and other market developments to keep senior management abreast of industry trends and potential M&A opportunities; perform ad-hoc analyses to support senior management-decision making (e.g., cost of capital, sector trends, etc.)
* Strategic Plan Development: support the Corporate Strategy function and Sempra senior management in the development of the company's annual strategic plan presented to the Board.
* Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
* Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, or equivalent.
* Master's degree or professional certification (e.g., CFA) is a plus.
* Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, preferably with an energy / utility company or Wall Street / investment banking.
* Can work independently with mentorship and also partner with senior-level members of the team.
* Must reside in Southern California or be willing to relocate upon hire.
* We offer a hybrid work environment. Although the schedule may vary, typically this will allow you to work from the office two to three days per week and work remotely on the remaining workdays.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Competitive Intelligence
- Corporate Development