Well Control Specialist
An independent international energy company engaged in exploration and production, oil sands mining and integrated gas is looking for an experienced well control specialist, located in Houston.
The Well Control Specialist utilizes analytical skills, practical experience and good judgment to evaluate, select, and recommend well control equipment, and to develop procedures and implementation plans, for drilling, completions, work over and interventions. The Well Control Specialist will have expertise in surface and subsurface BOP’s and related control systems. Engineering skills from a petroleum or mechanical engineering and practical applications provides the basis for this position’s responsibilities and job requirements; although a person without a technical degree who possesses relevant, practical experience could meet such requirements. The Well Control Specialist is also expected to work closely with rig contractors and third party consulting firms on well control matters for both offshore and onshore wells in a multitude of environments.
Role You Will Play:
· Develop and maintain a Well Control Standard for use throughout WWD&C’s operations.
· Evaluate well plans and data to detect potential problems and recommend corrective actions to ensure well control is maintained.
· Provide technical consultation during drilling, completion, work over and intervention operations to prevent loss of, or to regain, well control.
· Provide guidance and aid in the development of Well Specific Containment Plans for all wells in OCS waters.
· Provide guidance to third party experts on evaluating well control simulations and aid in risk management for specific wells or scenarios.
· Provide guidance on Managed Pressure Drilling applications and aid in the development of procedures related thereto.
· Provide technical consultation on relief well planning and interface with third party experts to develop both generic and well specific relief well/blowout contingency plans.
· In concert with independent third party experts, review and recommend BOP and well control equipment acceptance testing procedures.
· Develop well control training requirements world-wide.
· Assist in developing specialized well control training for rig-site Supervisors, as well as for Drilling and Completion Engineers.
· Share experience with other internal organizations and participate in peer reviews to maximize knowledge transfer.
· Stay appraised of industry trends and new technology associated with well control (e.g. subsea, deepwater, managed pressure drilling and HPHT operations).
· Participate and support any Joint Industry Task Force and API subcommittees dealing with all facets of Well Control.
· Degree: Bachelors Degree required advanced degree is preferred.
· Major Discipline: Petroleum or Mechanical Engineering preferred
· Years Experience: Ten years of drilling and / or completion work with demonstrated experience in well control is required.
· Computer Proficiencies: Microsoft Office, Well control simulation software