EU Only Please
18 May 2012
Sorry this job has expired.
Click here for more Chief Telecoms Engineer jobs
Click here for more Chief Telecoms Engineer jobs
Our Client in Reading, Berkshire is looking to recruit a Chief Telecoms Engineer to join their team on a Permanent Staff basis. Job Description The Chief Telecoms Engineer reports to the Group manager Systems and is accountable for the leadership and development of a small Telecoms Engineering Group. Strong leadership, decision making and influencing skills are required to ensure the delivery of challenging project and client targets. Broad knowledge of telecommunication systems in the oil and gas or petrochemicals industry is required with a number of years experience as lead engineer in a multi-disciplined role is preferred, but relevant Telecoms industry experience will be considered. The role involves corporate and lead engineer responsibilities. The corporate role involves developing standards and technical work practices, interviewing telecoms engineers, developing execution strategies and performing technical audits and cold eyes review of other lead telecoms engineers work. Understanding and execution experience with remote engineering offices is desirable. Relevant construction site experience would be a distinct advantage. Key Responsibilites
- Work in collaboration with the Group Manager to set the vision and strategic direction of the Electrical Systems Group.
- Provide technical (and execution) support and governance to Projects via Lead Telecommunication Engineers.
- Technical interface with clients, other Departments, suppliers/vendors and consultants.
- Provide technical direction of the Telecoms Group and act as the technical focus for the Group, including project set-up, execution, close-out and butt lists.
- Responsible for Operational Alerts and Lessons Learnt, ensuring these are disseminated to the Telecoms Group and implemented and incorporated in the relevant Procedures, TWPs and Standards.
- Review, support and agree Telecommunication technical issues with the Lead Telecommunication Engineer disseminate and implement Group’s ‘best practice’ on projects.
- Develop and maintain Telecommunication metrics (standard quantities, man-hours and project experience).
- Responsible for Telecommunication systems and tools software including validation, keeping abreast of latest market developments, training and ensuring correct deployment on to Projects.
- Study software (Noise, radio coverage)
- Develop and mentor Telecommunication Engineers and provide input to the Group’s technical succession plan.
- Provide input to department budgets.
- Deputise for Group Manager (if required).
- Manage and coordinate mentoring of Telecommunication graduates including department rotation and progression to CEng. Support (where appropriate) institute applications.
- Keep up to date with latest industry practices, standards and product development, and disseminate to the group. Maintain industry networks.
- Network with other Chief Engineers in the organisation, internally, nationally and internationally to facilitate best practice within the organisation
- Lead Projects and assigned group of Telecommunication Engineers where required.
- Plan, Coordinate and conduct Telecommunication Audits and Technical Reviews on projects.
- Develop and maintain Telecom Group’s Technical Work Practices, Engineering Standards, ASK TED and Technical Consistency Modules.
- Advise Systems Group Manager on technical capability of staff as required to support manpower allocation to projects.
- Represent the organisation on outside Technical Committees.
- Organise and carry out technical discipline meetings and presentations on Telecommunications e.g. Present training modules to the group.
- Establish the Skill Matrix within the Telecommunication Engineering group. Develop, maintain and implement technical training in support of the Group’s Skill Requirement.
- Provide input into Proposals to support Telecommunication man-hour estimates and execution plans under direction of Group Manager.
- Conduct Performance Reviews of the Telecommunication Engineers.
- Manage the recruitment process for Telecommunication Engineers, conduct technical interviews and support recruitment of technical specialist as directed by Systems Group Manager
- Review and agree with Lead Telecommunication Engineers staff allocation on Projects. Co-ordinate Telecommunications Manpower Plan (MPP).
- Provide Supplier/Vendor Technical Evaluation to support corporate global Telecommunication suppliers list.
- Act as authorised signatory on projects, and approve Telecommunication Engineering pinnacle documents
- Carry out technical induction sessions with all new starts.
- Degree in or equivalent, in a relevant telecommunications engineering subject.
- Chartered or incorporated engineer (or actively working towards).
- BICSI RCDD accreditation is preferred.
- CCTV System
- Public Address and General Alarm System
- Trunked Mobile Radio System
- Structured Cable System
- PABX System
- Data communications System
- Satellite Communications System
- Pipeline Communications
- Radio telemetry System
- SDH/PDH/OTN Transmission System
- External Cable Networks
- Meteorological System
- Marine Berthing & Load Line Monitoring System
For further information or to apply please contact Michael Webb
Bachelors Degree or equivalent