A leading provider of fiber optic reservoir monitoring solutions seeks a Firmware Engineer to analyze, synthesize and implement signal processing solutions using FPGA (Field-Programmable Gate Array) and DSP (Digital Signal Processing) chips in product development. You will work closely with Optoelectronic, Electrical and Software Engineers to develop and maintain state of the art fibre optic sensor products. Applicants are invited with post graduate degree in Electronics, Computer Science or Physics combined with a minimum of 5 years FPGA development experience. This is a great opportunity for an individual looking for the next step in their career in fibre optic sensor product development.
The Company is a privately owned provider of reservoir monitoring solutions using fibre optic sensors within the oil and gas industry globally. With offices in several locations worldwide, they have developed both land and marine technology to ensure high quality, cost-effective, repeatable 4D seismic data in any field scenario.
Their products include custom hardware, high performance FPGA’s, high speed memory interfaces, high speed data acquisition, multi-processors and DSP processors with complicated signal processing algorithms.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Technical Director, this role encompasses many functions including:
- Become competent in the Company’s business matters, work flows and practices.
- Review and verify FPGA firmware code of existing products.
- Develop (i.e. design, debug and test) high speed digital FPGA for state of the art fibre optic sensor products.
- Analyze challenges and synthesize algorithm solutions.
- Translate algorithm solutions into dedicated hardware FPGA solutions.
- Contribute to continuous improvement of design processes
- Collaborate with other Electrical and Software Engineers to support product manufacture and testing.
- Keep abreast of all emerging technologies and trends within the reservoir monitoring space.
Preferences: The successful candidate will have:
- A Masters/PhD in Electronics, Computer Science or Physics essential.
- Minimum of 5 years commercial experience in FPGA development (e.g. hardware programming languages such as VHDL, Verilog etc.) essential.
- Knowledge of optical sensors highly desired
- Previous experience in the full lifecycle of FPGA firmware design essential.
- Proven record of set-to-work and verification of complex FPGA designs essential.
- Previous experience in data acquisition with FPGA desired.
- Multi-gigabit data handling and processing experience with FPGAs essential.
- Knowledge of VHDL/Verilog simulation and synthesis is an FPGA design flow highly advantageous.
- Background in FPGA and system design using programmable logic design and logic verification skills essential.
- Experience in delivering complex firmware solutions for production essential.
- Knowledge and understanding of interconnect/communication standards and protocols (i.e. as PCIe, I2C, USB, UART, and SPI) essential.
- Flexible and adaptable to use a range of software and firmware development tools and environments (e.g. C/C++, Linux, VHDL, Verilog) highly advantageous. Matlab and Simulink desired.
- Working knowledge of Laser, EDFA and DWDM highly desired.
- Previous experience of high speed digital design, radio frequency techniques and digital filter design advantageous.
- Self-driven with strong problem solving abilities and time-management skills, the ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and Chinese (Mandarin) essential.
- Strong organisation skills and a methodical approach to all work essential.
- Proactive, flexible and dedicated team player with experience working within multi-disciplinary product development teams.
Package: A Base Salary of ¥10-20K (Annual ¥120K - 240K) per month plus benefits is on offer dependent on skills and experience. There may be some flexibility on base salary for high calibre candidates.