NiSource is actively seeking natural gas data and mapping technician for immediate employment to boost pipeline protection and help with long-term gas pipeline projects. Candidates with backgrounds in gas pipeline mapping, gas records investigation, GIS operations/analysis, and GPS data production are encouraged to apply.
The gas data and mapping technician position will contribute to upgrading the quality of gas mapping records while also increasing their time of delivery to internal business units such as Gas Operations, Compliance, and Damage Prevention & GIS Records Enhancement.
The primary responsibilities of this position are:
- Directly support NiSource initiatives to develop and implement technologies for mapping gas facilities in the field. Regular duties with this effort include contributing to technology assessment, training, project coordination, performance analysis, QA/QC, GPS and GIS integration.
- Perform the necessary records investigations and GIS operations to execute gas mapping revision requests. Duties include researching legacy job order records, reviewing work management system (WMS) records, communicating with Operations and Engineering personnel, reviewing design files, review as-built GIS data, performing GIS and WMS operations to update relevant records to spatial and database accuracy specifications within an established delivery period.
- Produce GIS work products and provide gas pipeline network data analysis for Compliance and Damage Prevention initiatives.
The internal job title of the position is Facility Records Enhancement Technician and will be a member of the Facility Records Enhancement (FRE) group. The FRE group is within the Damage Prevention & GIS Records Enhancement department, which is housed within the Pipeline Safety and Compliance Division of NiSource. NiSource facilities consist of gas main lines, service lines, measurement and regulation equipment.
As part of Damage Prevention & GIS Records Enhancement, the FRE group is charged with fostering the continuous improvement of pipeline safety by identifying, researching, developing, integrating, and supporting initiatives to enhance facility records quality and its delivery, maintenance, and application within NiSource. The gas mapping technician position will play a fundamental role in achieving those goals by working on the NiSource pipeline network, and also support all of the FRE's responsibilities throughout the entire NiSource footprint.Selection Criteria
Required Selection Criteria
- Minimum Associates Degree education in geography, GIS, survey, cartography, engineering, computer science, or other relevant discipline
- Minimum of two (2) years' experience in gas operations, utility damage prevention, utility mapping, GIS, field mapping, GPS data production or equivalent professional experience
- Proven effectiveness in a geographically dispersed and cross functional workforce, as well as in field operations
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to use Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office software suites
- Valid Driver's License
Preferred for Selection:
- Experience with GIS, GPS, AM/FM, CAD and other related spatial technologies
- Gas utility damage prevention, utility locating, gas plant/service/transmission operations experience
Required for Selection:
- Demonstrated knowledge of gas operations
- Demonstrated knowledge of various PC applications and software (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AutoCAD)
- Knowledge of basic mapping/cartographic concepts (accuracy, scale, datum, projection, coordinates, etc.)
- Proficiency in basic math skills
- Proficiency in basic geometry
- Proficiency in basic geography
- Valid Driver's License
General /Transferable Competencies:
- Continuous Improvement
- Decision Making
- Planning & Organizing
- Quality Orientation
Value inclusion within your day to day responsibilities by respecting others' perspectives/convictions, engaging others' opinions, creating a safe environment where people, ideas, and opinions are valued within your Team/Customers and external partners.
Respect and take into consideration diversity within your Team/Customers and external work partners by valuing different world views, challenges, and cultures that represent all walks of life and all backgrounds.
Treat others with respect and consideration. Actively participate in creating and contributing to a positive work environment.How To Apply
For immediate consideration, please apply on-line at <web address removed> on or before January 19th!Equal Employment Opportunity
NiSource is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in each of its companies to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, disability, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any protected group status as defined by law. Each employee is expected to abide by this principle.
By applying, you may be considered for other job opportunities.