Controls/negotiates existing railroad license agreements and preparation of annual lease renewal schedule. Creates invoices and administers contracts for survey & land services. Establishes and grows valued relationships with county recorders, railroads, and company affiliates.
- Investigates and interprets acquired land rights agreements.
- Assures all pertinent land documentation is available through both electronic media and paper to ensure accurate information is provided to the landowner with appropriate provisions of agreement.
- Partners with the legal department in various projects, including discovery requests ensuring all acquired land rights agreements meet legal requirements.
- Prepares legal documents (partial releases, surrenders, modifications, and bills of sale).
- Performs complex research and interpretation of company land rights for operations, sales, legal, and external customers.
- Assists in monitoring, analyzing, and developing policy and procedure for land related matters.
- Assists in training and consulting other land analysts, engineering/construction staff, technical operations functions, and other operations employees as well as outside service providers.
- Assists survey & land administrator in reviewing and commenting on potential legislation that effects/may affect the Company's land rights.
- Completes special studies and continuous improvement initiatives of land issues, as needed.
- Acts as liaison with survey & land administrators and other land analysts, when possible, by assisting them with their duties or substituting for them during their absence.
- Examines courthouse records, requests title assistance, and contacts landowners.
- Assists with appraisals, investigates/appraises crop, timber, and property damages caused by maintenance and construction activities, and responds to landowner complaints.
- Submits land rights agreements to appropriate county for recording.
Required for Selection:
- Ability to read and interpret legal documents, specifically land rights documents.
- Working knowledge of office automation applications including spreadsheets, word processing and databases.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with ability to deliver oral/written presentations
- Strong organizational skills.
- Expert knowledge of land matters.
- Energetic, creative thinker.
- Ability for occasional overnight travel.
- Possess or ability to obtain Notary Public.
- A minimum of three years demonstrated experience in the required selection criteria.
- High School Diploma
Preferred for Selection:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Demonstrated legal experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic surveying and mapping concepts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the various land rights and their recording requirements.
- Working knowledge of operations support systems (e.g. WMS, CMS, EASI).
Some experience in acquisition, abstracting and property protection is desirable on projects.
Ability to sit 50% of the time, stand/walk 40% of the time, bend/lift 10% of the time.
Promote a safe work environment by actively participating in all aspects of our employee safety program. Report any unsafe conditions and take actions to prevent personal injuries. Support our interdependent safety culture by ensuring the safety of your co-workers. Stay focused on the task at hand and promote productivity through good work habits.
Value inclusion within your day to day responsibilities by respecting others' perspectives/convictions, engaging others' opinions, creating a safe environment where people, ideas, and opinions are valued within your Team/Customers and external partners.
Respect and take into consideration diversity within your Team/Customers and external work partners by valuing different world views, challenges, and cultures that represent all walks of life and all backgrounds.
Treat others with respect and consideration. Actively participate in creating and contributing to a positive work environment.How To Apply
For immediate consideration, please apply on-line at <web address removed> on or before January 24, 2017!Equal Employment Opportunity
NiSource is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in each of its companies to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, disability, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any protected group status as defined by law. Each employee is expected to abide by this principle.
By applying, you may be considered for other job opportunities.