CH2M is a global leader in consulting, design and programme management. We love to tackle complex challenges, and we know that our best solutions come out of close, trusted partnerships with our clients and the communities we touch.
Be a part of something Special: every professional aspires to be part of something special, to innovate and to change the world for the better; leaving their ideas and visions imprinted in the landscape for future generations to wonder how as they marvel at the scale & complexity in front of them.
Here at CH2M we are fortunate to work towards this every day, enhancing the lives of the communities around us and greatly improving infrastructure for business and the economy to compete and thrive. Our Birmingham team have exciting opportunities across our portfolio including; High Speed 2 (HS2), Programme Delivery Partner for Highways England, SMART/Major Motorways, Network Rail, Local Authority frameworks, Flood/Environmental frameworks and Major Ground Investigations.
We are looking for an Estimating Manager to support CH2M in delivering industry leading cost estimating processes across the company, to ensure that accurate and robust figures can be used confidently by internal and external stakeholders. This role effectively guides, supervises and runs all estimating and closely related functions on a given project, ensuring adoption, conformance and performance.
The role is accountable to and will collaborate heavily with a senior cost individual within our business; likely working in a matrix or similar cross-functional structure. This role will cover a wide range of smaller projects or enjoy a major programme-wide remit. The successful person will find themselves supporting multiple clients depending upon circumstances; a calm, collected, collaborative approach is essential in this demanding but rewarding role where you will make a real difference to the success of our projects, clients and firm.
- Serve as a leader and technical expert in estimating. Successfully manage the relationships between the project controls functionsestimating, planning/scheduling, cost control, and risk managementfor an estimate.
- Draw on best practice from industry in the development and maintenance of high clear, achievable standards (e.g. benchmarks) for all estimating and related services that ensures we provide consistent, high-quality (best in class) advice, intelligence and decision-making to our project teams and clients alike.
- Within a business group/ programme, provide estimating leadership on strategic initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues from other disciplines and business areas or even clients to achieve best practice and success in the programmes and projects we support.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
At CH2M, we are constantly striving to further enhance our team resources. We are therefore interested in experienced engineering, environmental & other project professionals, offering significant career prospects, competitive packages, benefits & share options. The opportunity is there to work alongside talented colleagues and collaborative senior management. We continually look to further enhance CH2Mers capability through diverse and challenging work as well as training, development plans & mentorships.
- The role will involve engagement with and cross-programme / team working often in geographically diverse locations. This means the ability to engage and build rapport with clients, contractors and colleagues alike is essential; building confidence and leading the debate / thought process on cost estimating and management.
- First-class understanding of the cost and value drivers that define a project, with the ability to define and shape this via converting engineering data into meaningful metrics, milestones and drivers.
- You will be expected to demonstrate an understanding of all aspects of direct and indirect costs whilst using your solid quantity surveying skills and your understanding of the construction industry (major projects / programmes).
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and specifically the ability to present cost / work concisely in a format that is tailored for the audience (e.g. client / internal colleagues etc.)
- Ability to challenge colleagues in a constructive manner in order to achieve positive outcomes, particularly important as many of our projects are challenging, innovative or unusual; many of your peers are 'solution orientated' in nature.
- Ability to interact effectively with colleagues in many different disciplines involved in a range of projects, sometimes with competing interests. Also able to engage with client peers and collaborate successfully with specialist partner firms.
- Strong quantitative, drafting and presentational skills and a degree of gravitas when required.
To be successful in your role, you:
- Have experience of working with multiple stakeholders with competing interests.
- Identify and proactively manages stakeholders whilst developing and implementing appropriate controls for successful delivery at each stage.
- Have a good understanding of market trends and conditions affecting infrastructure programmes along with experience in detailed programme / project estimating or planning work.
- Have experience of implementing governance structures; experience within NEC or other complex contractual frameworks would be considered favorably. Have experience of leading the development and implementation of significant, large scale, complex, high risk, high value projects and programmes.
- Likely have notable experience in infrastructure sector, ideally within road, rail, water or utilities.
- Are Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (or equivalent body) or working towards.
Our Culture: Safety & health conscious, collaborative & friendly with regular social activities. Were full of initiatives for creating a diverse and interesting place for professionals to work, as well as individuals wanting to advance their career. We support and encourage our people to go through their professional qualifications. To get ahead we also have our JUMP network for aspiring junior to mid-level CH2Mers.
Our CH2M Foundation are renowned for supporting and helping to nurture sustainable communities. We partner Engineers without Borders, Water for People and Bridges to Prosperity. Were STEM ambassadors. We promote WISE (Women in Science & Engineering), we also have our own womens engineering network to promote equality in our industry.
Take a look around our site to see some of the iconic projects we are involved in all around the world! Soon you could be part of award winning CH2M.
Please note that for this role we are only considering applications from candidates with valid working rights for the UK who are willing to accept local employment contract conditions. CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position or offer expatriate employment terms.
Similar Job Searches
- Estimating Manager (Major Infrastructure Programmes) Birmingham UK
- Estimating Manager (Major Infrastructure Programmes) Birmingham UK in Birmingham
- Estimating Manager (Major Infrastructure Programmes) Birmingham UK in West Midlands
- Estimating Manager (Major Infrastructure Programmes) Birmingham UK in England
- Oil and Gas jobs in Birmingham